"Discourse::NotFound" error when click "Email Type" field on admin/email/bounced

I think clicking on an “Email Type” field, e.g. user_watching_first_post is meant to display details of the bounce message received from the intended recipient.

But on my self-hosted site I get the error message stated above. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks.

1 Like

That is correct. I’ve just checked this on my hosted Discourse site and it’s working without any problems. If your site is on the latest version of Discourse, I’m wondering is the issue is related to how your mail server handles forwarding the bounce message.

2 Likes

Thanks. For outgoing mail I’m using Mailgun. I think I used Discourse’s recommended settings.

For incoming mail I’m using this Straightforward direct-delivery incoming mail But I’ve never updated it since installation - might that be the problem? As it’s ./launcher rebuild app for Discourse, is it ./launcher rebuild mail-receiver?

1 Like

Yes, that’s how to upgrade it. It’s been a while since the last update, I think, but a good first stop) step would be to upgrade it and discourse.

2 Likes

I have upgraded both and still get the same error, including (I think) for emails received since the upgrade. Any further ideas?

2 Likes

Same problem here. Self-hosted, up to date. Bounces being handled the recommended way. Links from before we changed to proper bounce handling work fine.

3 Likes

Yes likely Discourse isn’t getting it from Mailgun. I don’t know how the webhooks work but suspect it just tells Discourse there has been a temporary/permanent failure without sending the bounce message.

2 Likes

Is there any way to make this Discourse feature work with Mailgun?

It should be possible to show at least the error code and message:

Both SMTP error code and SMTP error message are preserved
“code”: 550,
“address”: “'baz@example.com”,
“error”: “Message was not accepted – invalid mailbox. Local mailbox 'baz@example.com is unavailable: user not found”

https://documentation.mailgun.com/en/latest/api-bounces.html#examples

If not then at least we need a sensible error message to explain why the link doesn’t work :slight_smile:

1 Like