Discourse On Replit?

Is there any way do run discourse on Replit?

1 Like

for what? to do what?

1 Like

Iv’e wanted to host discourse on Replit, mostly because I want to see how all the admin controls and stuff like that work before I put it on my computer.

1 Like

I doubt it.

You don’t want to install it on your computer. You want to install it on something like a digital ocean droplet. Digital ocean and mailgun are the easiest way to get it set up.

5 Likes

This has been asked before and my response was this:

4 Likes

If you want to just look at it set up a local #dev-install. But as @pfaffman says, this is not suitable for Production when you introduce other users.

2 Likes

It seems like it might work. NodeBB works, so maybe?

2 Likes

I managed to get Discourse running on Replit (with multiple concurrent users), but the new egress limits make it far too expensive (it uses over 10gb of egress per day)

4 Likes

As a replit user, I can attest it’s definitely possible but not feasible

3 Likes

Luckily, egress should reset May 1st, meaning that you can run it again soon (for like a day).

2 Likes

For calibration, my modest forum (80 actives per week, 120 actives per month) serves about 40G in a month, 20G of which is cached by my CDN (Cloudflare.) A load of the front page seems to be 12 MByte.

It’s possible that a non-standard setup will somehow allow for less client caching and so with clients fetching more your data transfers will be greater.

3 Likes

Since a site with nginx configured doesn’t seem to waste egress, I think my site not having nginx was the issue.

3 Likes

how can I make a discourse server with nginx

2 Likes

Hello Izaan,

Is your question related to Replit? If it’s not, I’ll move it to a new topic.

Can you also add more information to your question, which may be vague at this time?

2 Likes

I think pepople use nginx on Replit to set up discourse since Replit doesn’t support docker. So it may be

2 Likes

Do you not want to do a standard install?

Discourse uses nginx. Do you want to have an external nginx? Are you trying to install without docker? Do you want to install on replit or somewhere else?

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply.

I (actually 9pfs) figured it out (and yes, I was trying to install discourse on Replit).

1 Like