Discourse Popular Tag Sidebar

@awesomerobot This is wonderful! Thanks for creating it.

I have an idea for a theme setting. Being able to display the number of topics per tag in the sidebar somewhat like so:

Popular tags
23 done
5 doing
5 to-do
3 no-rush
2 priority
1 urgent

Since the component ranks the tags in the sidebar by popularity, I assume it is looking up how many of each tag there are across the category. Being able to admin toggle on/off displaying these numbers would be helpful for certain kinds of categories – perhaps ones where tags are used for basic task management or coordination.

Since the kanban component serves a similar purpose on a more elaborate level, this may not be a priority within this component. Still would be nifty for a lightweight glance at the status of tags within a category.

1 Like

As stated in your dedicated Topic, I don’t believe this is achievable without changes to the back end (in core or a plugin) and possibly the FE too (as a result of those changes). I would welcome those changes though!

Here’s the tip of the iceberg:

As you can see, the actual counts are discarded, and used only for the order.

I’d be happy to look at this if someone wants to hire me to PR and potentially deal with a lot of knock-on impacts, but it would also require the agreement of Team of course: I may be missing a downside of serializing this extra information …

5 Likes

This component allowed me to bring parent-category-like dynamism to sub-categories. Ideal for scaling sub-categories if needed to parent-category status while keeping the workflow. Just awesome, thank you so much!!!

Just one observation: it would be cool if, after selecting one tag, the Tag Sidebar could remain visible, to easily navigate to the other tags!
Right now, after selecting one tag from the sidebar, the Tag Sidebar disappears.

Do you have any similar plugin that is like Twitter Trending Topics?

“number of tags” setting not working, at least not for me.

Bump. This is still broken. Sorry I didn’t see it before posting my example. If it’s been broken this long, I wonder if it’s still supported, or should we find an alternate option?

1 Like

Thanks for the bump and sorry I missed the initial report @Benjamin_D ! I’ve just made an update that allows the number of tags to be limited again.

3 Likes