Discourse Reactions - Beyond Likes

Yes Im working on a refactoring of reactions, but Im doing it on the side of other things, so will take some time.

4 Likes

Can I report a performance issue with this plugin?

Clicking on the Reactions button on the left take approx 6 seconds to load:

During which time the server CPU sits on 100% usage:

For comparison, when I click on “All” it takes <1s:

And the CPU is largely idle for all other functions:

Let me know if I can provide any more details or info?

FWIW I’m not seeing this on my (hosted by Discourse) sites. “Likes” and “Reactions” both aren’t instant but well under a second.

2 Likes

It’s worth a lot - thank you :slight_smile:

As it now makes me wonder if I have an issue somewhere :grimacing:

2 Likes

I just looked as well and did not get the delay when looking at the reactions notifications.

Can we assume youi’ve updated to latest?

2 Likes

I updated on Friday and am just a handful of commits behind:

Thanks @tobiaseigen - I think I must have an underlying issue elsewhere :+1:

3 Likes

I’d like to be able to add a label to each emoji in the picker, like this:

:heart: Useful :mag_right: New info :mortar_board: Good analysis :lol: Funny

So that I can later filter out and highlight great posts with these “tags” down the road.

My plan is to create custom emojis that contain both the emoji and the text label in one image. Then add them to the custom emoji list, then use those emojis in the Beyond Likes picker. I’ll have to resize them with CSS since they won’t be square anymore.

Before I dive into attempting this and end up in tears, are there any obvious blockers to doing it this way? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You might be interested in this topic as it has CSS that may accomplish what your looking for

3 Likes

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you! :slight_smile: :clap:

3 Likes

Thumbs up reaction seems to be broken. Shows up for a bit but then it disappears. Anyone else encounter this issue?

CleanShot 2022-01-13 at 14.44.55

3 Likes

I’ve cleaned up a bunch of old obsolete replies but this topic may need more cleanup and attention @Ahmed_Gagan

6 Likes

My reactions plugin seem to be completely broken, only the regular like button works.

2 Likes

Which Discourse version are you running? Could you please share any relevant errors from your site logs or your browser console?

2 Likes

It works well on android-edge. It doesn’t work on desktop-edge.
Not sure if this is helpful but here is the console:

Discourse version: Commits · discourse/discourse (github.com)

1 Like

I’m not sure why but it seems my previous reply is deleted by somebody. So I’ll post it here again:

The issue that it’s super easy to accidentally hit :heart: still exist.

And i believe it’s because currently the plugin counts this action as hitting :heart: as well: start the scrolling with finger at the :heart: button and scroll up/down and lose the finger somewhere else. I believe if this action is not counted as hitting :heart:, it will not be this easy to accidentally hit :heart:.

Thanks a lot if your team could fix it! Our users are complaining about it every now and then…

1 Like

Old replies are deleted to keep the topic up to date. Many very old replies are no longer relevant or have been fixed, etc.

1 Like

I just turned on Reactions and am seeing this as well with the Thumbs Up.

4 Likes

I’m finding the same behaviour on my local dev site. We’re looking into the issue now.

4 Likes

@rkda - Please the rename the reaction from thumbsup to +1 while we work on a fix.

9 Likes

Got it! Started rendering again :orange_heart: Looking forward to the permanent fix :smiley:

2 Likes