Discourse Reactions - Beyond Likes

Yes, that’s exactly what I was looking for: https://discourse.marksmath.org/discourse-reactions/posts/120/reactions-users.json

Thanks!

6 Likes

Hi,

I’ve upgraded discourse-reactions to commit 6b0ee89 (on top of Discourse 2.7.5) yesterday, and since then the icons that go with user notifications are not being displayed anymore. Pointers as to what might be causing this or how to remedy this would be greatly appreciated :pray:

discourse-reactions-icons-gone

(I’ve turned this post into a new support topic in the hopes of getting an answer: Missing notification icon for the discourse-reaction plugin)

2 Likes

can the reaction count be shown as likes count on topic list when showLikes is true? currently only the like count is shown.

2 Likes

Empty space after emojis like the last emoji is hidden but I only have 5 emojis (including heart) but getting space for 6.

4 Likes

Thanks Momin for reporting the issue, I can reproduce the issue, I’ll add a fix soon.

6 Likes

I already have a fix in a branch, thanks.

8 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: I can only see my reactions

Do you know if it’s possible to only allow a defined group of users to apply a defined subset of custom reactions? This would allow you to not be the only one applying “likes” but have some tutors help with that grading process. It is something I want to establish, have an “expert group” evaluate (grade) contributions to the discussion.

3 Likes

We’ve just added Discourse Reactions to Discourse for Teams! :confetti_ball:

In testing, I am having some trouble understanding the difference between the following two settings. When would you want to choose different emojis for them? Should they not be rolled into one setting for discourse reactions like icon?

Also, I am having an odd problem with the first discourse reactions like icon setting. when I change it from the default heart to another emoji, say open_mouth, it does not show up. Is there something else that needs to be done to get this to work, or does it take a while for it to start appearing? See screenshot below.

As you can see, selecting the 1 correctly display the open mounth emoji I chose to represent likes, but it’s not showing up as the button to push to like.

Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 12.46.04 PM

And another thing… if you change the second one from heart to something else, then try to change it back to default (heart), it doesn’t work… gives an error. because heart is no longer on the list of available emojis. To reset it, you hae to add :heart: again to the enabled reactions, or reseat the enabled reactions to default first. Probably not much that can easily be done about that.

Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 1.20.29 PM

3 Likes

Very happy to hear this :tada::partying_face:

Discourse reaction like icon Setting is used to replace of heart(Empty & filled) the icon in the post of core discourse. & Discourse reaction reaction for like is used to replace :heart: emoji for like to say :open_mouth: (open_mouth) emoji.

The reason for this is, in core we are using heart icon which is available for both empty & filled versions & open_mouth is available for only outlined version. We need a fix for this.

This is because you can set this setting to the ones available in discourse reactions enabled reaction only. Eg: discourse_reactions_enabled_reaction has 3 emojis say :grinning: :smiley: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Now for setting discourse reaction reaction for like Needs to be one of these grinning/smiley/grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes

3 Likes

I see. Thanks for explaining - it’s a bit confusing! One thing @awesomerobot also pointed out is that the discourse reactions like icon expects a font awesome icon, so for example thumbs-up works while thumbsup does not, whereas the discourse reactions for like is selected from the list of enabled reactions.

I had a feature request from a customer - to allow ALL emojis to be used as reactions. Has anyone ever asked for this before? I think this is the way it works in Facebook (guessing because I don’t have a facebook account). It offers some suggested common ones and then has a ‘more’ to select any emoji from the huge list available.

1 Like

Discord also works this way and I greatly enjoy it :+1:

2 Likes

I believe Facebook has fix reactions but Messenger allow use all emojis for reaction. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

If I try to replace the heart icon with the fas fa-utensils icon in discourse reactions like icon. Any specific reason why the icon doesn’t show up? I tried many other icons besides heart and thumbs-up and none of them show up.

Sorry, just a wild guess — but you can’t use fas fa-. And the name for thumbs-up is +1 when it will be enabled. And thumbs-up when it is default. Confusing? Defenetly yes.

Yeah, I tried all combos: utensils, fa-utensils, fas-utensils, etc. and also added these to svg icon subset setting. But the icon is maddenly absent. :sweat_smile:

(We are a food forum. Hence the utensils ‘like’ icon. We have been using the utensils as our regular like icon for years now.)

1 Like

(I would like to get reactions here too… now I could only like and spread love, mut I would laugh instead :wink: )

Mostly because there are two things at play here:

• icons
  • emojis

They have different names and not much we can do about it, icon is used to display the button under the post, emojis are what you can use as reaction to a post.

Emojis can’t be added through SVGs they are limited to the unicode standard.

1 Like

Right. I have no problem with the emojis- they are all showing up properly. I had trouble with the icon, however. Just couldn’t get it to show.