Discourse stuck on "Currently Upgrading"

Now I remember why I don’t upgrade either Ubuntu or Discourse without having a completely free weekend.

Should probably branch off to a new topic but as I started replying here I’ll continue and think about the good way to do things later…

Good news is, Discourse upgraded fine after the initial mess. Well, command line needed as explained above, but ok.

Bad news is, since Ubuntu was at 16.04.3 I upgraded to 18.04.6 after that. Which ended up with the port in use error(*)… which exact error I cannot find anymore (in panic mode). I did find the exact problem here, tried the approaches, which did not work so I and ended up with restoring the snapshot I did on Digital Ocean as rebuilding again etc did not help. Minor discomfort, also realized DO had failed doing (paid) backups for the last 3 weeks so had to start digging into that as well.

I’m sure there is a last read/visited topics somewhere (after closing your browser) but could not find it.

Sorry for the rant, far too many hours spent as usual… need a break. Will upgrade again later and return under the correct topic.

1 Like

Yeah. I always recommend just doing a clean install of 20.04 and moving to a clean install. As you suggest, things can go wrong and there is lots of downtime for an OS upgrade, even when everything goes just right. Lots faster to just move to a new server.

1 Like

Except there is more than one software to move :slight_smile: . Maybe next Summer…

“Main reason servers get hacked - laziness and/or burnouts”

1 Like