Discourse-tooltips - preview topic contents on hover

official

(Robin Ward) #1

I’ve just released the first version of discourse-tooltips, which will preview the contents of topics on hover:

In the future the plugin will show more tooltips but this seemed like a good start :slight_smile:

Get excerpt for regular topics
Optimized interface for "adapting" topic titles?

I’ve installed and done an app rebuild and it doesn’t work

(cpradio) #3

It would help if you indicate any errors you are seeing.

I’ve checked logs and haven’t seen anything about it, hence why I didn’t do that.

(cpradio) #5

It works fine on my sandbox, so you’ll have to try a bit harder to troubleshoot or think of reasons why it wouldn’t work for you (think about potential conflicting plugins, customizations, etc).

(Sam Saffron) #6

A couple of bug reports:

1. If the text of the tooltip overflows (example have the excerpt be a giant hyperlink or the text x repeated 500 times) it overflows out of the bounding box

2. If you load in new topic to the list (cause 1 was changed or new) you do not get tooltips on the new topics

(Robin Ward) #8

These issues have been fixed in the latest version of discourse-tooltips, thanks.

(Алексей Копаев) #9

but how to make it so that if there is an image, so that it is also shown when it is being hovered?

(Robin Ward) #10

There’s no such option for that currently. I’m using our standard ExcerptParser and I don’t believe it has an option to keep images. If it did, we’d also have to figure out some CSS so it would look horrible.

I’d accept a PR that did it carefully behind a site setting.

(Daniela) #11

A minor issue in admin panel:

(Robin Ward) #12

Oops, fixed here.

(Diego Barreiro) #13

I think this plugin is no longer working :confused:

It’s not working on my forum

(Robin Ward) #14

@sam it looks like the jQuery upgrade broke discourse-tooltips. I’m not sure why but I confirmed locally that reverting jQuery fixes this issue.

(Jeff Atwood) #15

OK we should fix this @sam

(Jeff Atwood) #16

I think @joffreyjaffeux fixed it? Can you close if so?

The plugin works as intended on the topics on the category page (I have it set to categories + latest), but there’s no tooltip showing up on topic hover on any other page. I’ve looked around in settins for something that could be causing a conflict but haven’t spotted anything yet.