Display "current" like count in notification drop down

Currently we only notify on the first like and display:

:heart: zogstrip “My brilliant topic”

This is great and all but gets very tiring, especially if you are operating in @zogstrip’s timezone, he is always first to like and you have to keep visiting the topic if you want to get more internal validation.

Instead … what if we updated this as likes come in (without mucking with order or anything)

###Option 1

:heart: 7 “My brilliant topic”

###Option 2

:heart: zogstrip, codinghorror and 2 others “My brilliant topic”

###Option 3

Keep single name but always update it to “last” liker

:heart: (7) bob “My brilliant topic”

Any other ideas? :bulb:

8 Likes

Option 2 is the Facebook Way™ and will feel similar to people. Also I think is the most straight forward way to explain what’s going on.

6 Likes

I like option 2 as well.

And when another person likes your post, will the notification will be bumped to the top and augment the blue notification number? If so, that can get noisy as well.

Option 2 seems to be perfect to me. I’d sort the list such that the most important users are mentioned explicitly, where “most important” probably means “most :heart: received”?

2 Likes

I like option 2 as well. I agree we should not get a new blue notification, but bumping it in the list would be nice so you can see likes from much older notifications if you are paying attention. @sam, you should make a poll!

Poll driven development is the worse, will let @codinghorror make the call

Nah names don’t seem necessary, option 1 is fine, let’s keep it simple with just the number for now.