DNS Configuration

Evening,

I’ve successfully installed discourse using the instruction manual. I can access the congrats/setup page by both the IP address & ctkgathering.com (DNS by godaddy). It properly sends an email to me when I register, but when I click the activate link in the email it says “The domain ctkgathering.com is no longer parked by GoDaddy.”

Again, I can still access by going directly to that site, just clicking the activation email takes me to that error.

The nameservers are default from godaddy and it’s being forwarded to the IP from DigitalOcean. Masking is also enabled, but I’m not sure how that works. Do I need to change anything in the records to make this work when clicking from the email?

Thanks for the help and let me know any screen shots I can post.

Adam

Your DNS should be edited so the A record points to the Digital Ocean IP address.

Note that your site is at the root, no subdomain, which should work fine as long as that A record for ctkgathering.com is set to the correct IP address.

Thanks I will try that. Most examples, especially in the instructions, show the use of sub domains.

Is there reason those are preferred for use?

For third party hosting, subdomain is critical. Root domains eat an ipv4 address, and subfolders are hellishly complex to set up and route.

If you are hosting your own droplet on DO, then root domain works fine since you have an ipv4 address DO gave you. :wink:

1 Like

Gotcha makes sense. Thanks for the explanation & everything is running smoothly.

Is there a place to donate? I feel bad only paying for public hosting and not the actual software.

2 Likes

No need, but thank you! :bow: One way to help is to spread the good word about Discourse.

4 Likes