Site not showing after following official installation walkthrough

Hey guys, really excited to get set up with Discourse, but run into a problem whereby my site just doesn’t load.

I have followed this walkthrough on Discourse GH to set up using Digital Ocean.

The domain I am using was purchased and managed at GoDaddy, and currently it is displaying a site hosted on Webflow. I created a subdomain on the godaddy site by adding an A-Name record that points to my DO Droplet ipv4 address.

When I run ./discourse-setup, I answer all of the required settings, and skip the LET’S ENCRYPT email.

Everything appears to run through over the course of 5-10 minutes, with no errors, however once the script has finished, and I navigate to my subdomain address, it seems to redirect it to a different IP address (not the DO droplet id), saying it cannot be reached.

Any help on this would be massively appreciated, the subdomain I am trying to set up is talk.landscape.ventures

Thanks in advance

1 Like

It would seem talk subdomain is not created (yet?).
I would double-check first on GoDaddy that everything is configured/saved as expected.
If so, it could also simply means that you have to wait until the DNS is propagated, but I don’t think that is the issue here. Because we should already see responses from different servers and currently talk doesn’t exist.

3 Likes

Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it.

In the end this was being caused by 2 issues:

1. My droplet size being only 1GB not 2GB
  2. My SMTP account hadn’t been set up properly with SendInBlue. As soon as I switched to Mailgun which gave me an instant SMTP address, Discourse ended up installing correctly.
1 Like

1GB is fine providing you configure swap. RAM isn’t a problem.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.