Docker install: Module aufs not found

(Adnan) #1

Hey,

Immediately after running the docker install command wget -qO- https://get.docker.io/ | sh I get the following error. “modprobe: FATAL: Module aufs not found.”

I’m on digital ocean, 2GB Ram 40GB SSD. I have followed the guide exactly. redis, postgres has been installed and working properly.

Docker install: Module aufs not found - again
Unable to install Discourse: module aufs not found
Docker install: Module aufs not found - again
(Sam Saffron) #2

Check your kernel in dashboard you need one supporting docker

(Adnan) #3

k, I was able to resolve AUFS error using this guide. ubuntu - Docker: Error starting container: Unable to load the AUFS module - Stack Overflow

Running these commands fixed the AUFS error.

sudo apt-get install lxc wget bsdtar curl
sudo apt-get install linux-image-extra-$(uname -r)
sudo modprobe aufs

After bookstrapping discourse and running ‘./launcher start app’ command gives me the error below. Apologize about these questions. I’m relatively new to command line. Any idea how to fix this issue?

“Error response from daemon: Cannot start container ec15517beef98aad8c800ba44367e6eef14e5d2844db291b9958f3b17999b045: listen tcp 0.0.0.0:80: bind: address already in use”

(Adnan) #4

k, ngnix was listening on port 80. This seems to have worked and discourse is loading now.

Also I have stopped ngnix, instead of stopping should I change the port for it? How could I change the port for it? Any suggestions. Thanks!

(Jeff Atwood) #5

How are you failing to install on Digital Ocean? Are you not selecting Ubuntu 14.04 LTS as we recommend?

(Adnan) #6

@codinghorror, It is on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. The issue seems to arise on docker install wget -qO- https://get.docker.io/ | sh. I have resolved the docker installation with:

sudo modprobe aufs

Seems like everything is working now. I think the installation guide should mention the “modprobe: FATAL: Module aufs not found.”, in case someone else runs into this issue.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

You said that above. I can’t repro the problem you’re having though, unless docker changed that get.docker.io script in the last few days – I’ve installed dozens of times on Digital Ocean using our guide and never, ever seen what you’re reporting.

(Adnan) #8

@codinghorror, it must have been a recent change with docker. I installed discourse over the weekend on a different droplet, ran into the same issue as today. Though everything is working now.

(Michael Brown) #9

Was there an error during the initial run of the docker web-install script? It’s possible that there was a network error resulting in a failure to get the packages.

It should have been noticed by the script. Do you have the output from the initial run still?

(Adnan) #10

Yes, there was an error during the initial setup. I was able to resolve this issue, but don’t have the output from the initial run anymore.

(Michael Brown) #13

OK - it’s almost definitely something the docker install script should be detecting and handling - it if occurs again they’ll need to address it.

(Adnan) #14

Here is the initial output error, after running “wget -qO- https://get.docker.io/ | sh”

modprobe: FATAL: Module aufs not found.

Fixed using:

sudo modprobe aufs

You can close this topic. Thanks!

(Michael Brown) #15

Does that happen again on a fresh install? Can you reproduce it? If so you should file a ticket with docker.

(Adnan) #16

I could do a fresh install and test it. I will let you know.

(Adnan) #17

@supermathie It happened again on a fresh install. Issue has been submitted with docker.

(Michael Brown) #18

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.