Document for installing on AWS ECS

Is there any plan to add document about installing on AWS EC2 Container Service?

1 Like

The official Discourse team does hosting on bare metal linux servers, so we don’t have any experience with hosting Discourse on ECS.

We would need someone in the community to figure this out and document it.

1 Like

I think this would be needed to run on ECS:

@Frez created a guide on this:

3 Likes

Sorry if I’m mistaken but ain’t ECS and EC2 different things?

Not necessarily. You could fairly easily bootstrap a configured image locally, then push that to a private registry, and point ECS at it.

Yes, they are. EC2 is VPSes, ECS is Amazon running Docker for you. AWS’ insistence on confusing TLAs does nothing for general comprehension of their services.

6 Likes

This is a good list:

https://www.expeditedssl.com/aws-in-plain-english

4 Likes

AWS offer a Elastic Beanstalk install option which creates a single instance docker app.

The recommended method is via a Dockerrun.aws.json which pulls a docker image.
You can even add env keypairs during the launch setup.
Has anyone tried this yet?

I’m no expert but this seems to get close to a build

{
  "TestDiscourse": "1",
  "Image": {
    "Name": "samsaffron/discourse",
    "Update": "true"
  },
  "Ports": [
    {
      "ContainerPort": "80"
    }
  ],
  "Volumes": [
    {
      "HostDirectory": "/var/discourse/shared"
    }
  ],
  "Logging": "/var/log/nginx"
}
1 Like

Does someone has an example for the Multi-container configuration?

2 Likes

It would be really helpful if anyone could point out how to set up Discourse in AWS ECS.

The main reason for being interested in ECS particularly is the ability it provides (through load balancer and autoscaling groups) to launch new instances automatically when needed. This means we can start with a “small” instance type, like t2.micro or t2.small, and have it expand when needed.

Thank you,
Ilias

3 Likes

ATM, Discourse doesn’t work on ECS.

There was some discussion about it, but it would be a major change, and some drawbacks.

4 Likes

Since the title and body of your post are different I am unsure if you want ECS or EC2, but I found this helpful guide for setting up Discourse with EC2.

1 Like

How did you get on with this?

I did not :frowning:

I ended up having Discourse in a DigitalOcean droplet and the rest of my site in AWS.

I have added the guide on how to host discourse on AWS EC2 [Guide] Host Discourse on AWS EC2