Does Discourse use Mailgun's validations feature?

I’ve been looking at the recommended email providers page and comparing the recommended options. If we chose Mailgun, would Discourse use its validations feature, or does it handle all validations itself? I’m not sure if I should be considering that in our price comparison.

1 Like

What are validations?

AFAIK it’s a feature for bulk mailing to check that mailboxes exist. The free tier lets you validate 100 addresses per month.

As Discourse already verifies that emails exist I’m not sure how useful it would be.

3 Likes

I believe that the validations thing allows you to validate email addresses (e.g., to check that a list of addresses you have is valid) before you send mail to them. Discourse doesn’t need to do that, so it’s moot.

The mailgun thing that’s worth knowing about is using the API to get bounce notification, as described here.

6 Likes

Yes, I think it would be good to mention that in the Email section of the discourse setup instructions. Not necessarily the Mailgun specific settings but generally to point out that additional action is needed (regardless of provider) for discourse to get bounce information.

4 Likes

Sure that is a good idea @tshenry maybe you can update that topic?

1 Like

I was thinking about the 30 minute instructions on Github, but if there is a topic here too, it’s probably goid to update that too…

Good idea. And now that you mention it, I’ll automatically enable it on installs that I do that include Mailgun. I’m not sure why I didn’t do that sooner.

3 Likes

Because it wasn’t in the instructions? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Good one! But since I’d already written code to call mailgun’s api to create the webhook and to set the discourse setting to enable it, I don’t think that’s the reason. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses everyone. Also, I guess I’m glad this post has prompted some extra thinking on some of the docs? :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.