Does reassigning a category send a new email out to the group watching the new category?

On my dev instance I just tried these steps:

• User1 sets “Announcements” category to “Watching”
  • User2 performs these actions:
    • Private message (publish timer)
      • Create a private message with self, set timer to publish to “Announcements”
    • Staff only topic (publish timer)
      • Create a topic in a staff only category, set timer to publish to “Announcements”
    • Private message (manual publish)
      • Create a private message with self, click Make Public Topic (screenshot here)
      • This creates a public “Uncategorised” topic, so move manually to “Announcements”
    • Mention in PM
      • Create a private message with self, mentioning User1.
      • Click Make Public Topic

None of these scenarios result in a notification to User1. To confirm my test was working, I created a topic directly in “Announcements”, and a notification was indeed sent.

So, I think there are a few things that need fixing:

• Notifications should be sent when topics are re-categorised by a “publish” topic timer
  • Notifications should be sent when the “Make public topic” button is clicked in a PM. Complication here is that the topic is immediately moved to the “Uncategorised” category, so we’d need a UI to choose a category before publishing.
  • Add a :notify_about_post DiscourseEvent for plugins to subscribe to (see here)

Then there’s the question of whether notifications should be sent for “manually” moving topics between categories. Personally I don’t really have a opinion either way, but a change to the existing behaviour was mentioned here.

9 Likes