Does the advanced user tutorial still exist?

I see there’s a badge called Licensed, described as “Completed our advanced user tutorial.” Topics here suggest the advanced tutorial can be started by typing “@discobot start advanced user”, but on my hosted instance, it’s not understood.

What am I missing?

2 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

1 Like

The command to start the advanced discobot tutorial is:

@discobot start advanced tutorial

Maybe details about starting the advanced tutorial should be included in the post that is created when a user posts @discobot display help ?

4 Likes

Thanks, that works! Yes, it seems entirely reasonable to me for “display help” to show this. Now that I know the incantation, I can see how the current help message is trying to tell me what to say, but it is far from obvious.

3 Likes

Doesn’t it?

@discobot display help

I currently know how to do the following things:

@discobot start tutorial

Starts one of the following interactive tutorials: tutorial, advanced tutorial.

@discobot roll 2d6

:game_die: 3, 6

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you — Princess Diana

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: You may rely on it

1 Like

Looks correct to me ↑ ↑ @nedbat

If I could suggest an edit:

It was not clear to me that the “tutorial, advanced tutorial” part was meant to be used as part of the command.

5 Likes

Ditto! My moderators have raised the same concerns.

2 Likes

I mean … maybe? Do we really need multiple examples, e.g. does someone read

@discobot roll 2d6

and really need to see

@discobot roll 12d20
@discobot roll 1d10

to understand that the numbers can be substituted as needed? :thinking:

Although it is fair to note that only the tutorial expects different words, e.g.

@discobot start {name-of-tutorial}

where {name-of-tutorial} can be either tutorial or advanced tutorial.

1 Like

When there’s only two possibilities, instead of every natural number, it makes sense to just spell it out.

7 Likes

Your idea works for me too.

The copy can’t be easily edited; it’s programmatic

`@%{discobot_username} %{reset_trigger} %{default_track}`
 > Starts one of the following interactive tutorials: %{tracks}.
2 Likes

I don’t mean to fixate on this too much, but: you could easily edit this text if you decide that helping users find the two current tutorials is more important than YAGNI coding for a future possibility of a third tutorial.

Or, move the construction of the bot commands into the Ruby code. The text won’t change from locale to locale.

Or, change it to your suggestion:

`@%{discobot_username} %{reset_trigger} {name-of-tutorial}`
 > Starts an interactive tutorial.  `{name-of-tutorial}` can be one of: `%{tracks}`.

(pull request: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/7944)

3 Likes