Don't translate interpolation keys

This is a friendly reminder that variables in the english strings should not be translated since they will break the translations and break the build.

This is currently a problem in the Urdu translations. One example:

Anyone on the Urdu team, can you please spread the word?

14 Likes

Is there a way to declare these variables as such, so Transifex doesn’t even allow their translation?

1 Like

That would be ideal. I don’t know of a way to do that in Transifex.

Unless you enable “raw editor mode”, Transifex detects %{placeholder}, but unfortunately not {{placeholder}}. I have no idea why we use different placeholder formats. :thinking:

5 Likes

Maybe we should enforce this? Or automatically replace with the format recognized by Transifex?

6 Likes

And please do not replace the percent sign ( % ) with a translated version such as ŮŞ

Transifex allows you to insert the placeholder into your translation by clicking on the placeholder (e. g. %{count} in the following example.

The Urdu translations currently have that problem.

8 Likes

Transifex has this nice little feature called Translation Checks – we just didn’t know about it.

Well, I configured it today, so there shouldn’t be any problems with missing or translated interpolation keys anymore. You will see an error message when you try to save an invalid translation.

9 Likes