How to fix translation errors

Hi there,
I’m trying to install discourse and use it in my native language (Greek) but there are errors in the translation file which i would like to fix. The worst errors that i can’t find a way to fix are variable names (like the one used in the welcome message) which were translated to my language and now the welcome message (and not only) arrives broken.

Example:

How do i fix translation errors in general?

If i try to replace any variable with it’s original name in English, i get the following error message:

That is because the keys have to be in English (the values in {}).

Good catch on adding this validation @tgxworld!

1 Like

Thanks for stepping in… yes i know that, but i can’t fix it. Can you help?

Sure @tgxworld can help.

OK i’ll wait for @tgxworld to step in and help…

What are the keys that you’re having trouble translating?

It is in the screenshot in the first post. Those substitution words should not be translated.

1 Like

I was requesting for the translation keys for the translation not the interpolation keys. Anyway I think I’ll just write a script to find all the broken translations.

2 Likes

Ok I’ve added a test to check for translated interpolation keys in our translation files whenever we pull down new translations

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/b9fbc95ef42c3aa722a8dd7e29ddbf5dab83899c

All the broken translations have been fixed on Transifex as well.

6 Likes

This is good news @tgxworld Thanks!!! What should we do to fix our discourse installations now?

Upgrade to the lastest version :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would also like to actively join the Greek translation team on Transifex… i already joined the team but at the moment i can only submit translated keys for review. Thanks.

2 Likes

I just promoted you to Reviewer for Greek (Greece) team. Thanks for keeping Greek translations up-to-date. :heart:

4 Likes

I did the upgrade and although some keys seem to be fixed, “invite_forum_mailer.text_body_template” still have translated variables. Can you check that please?

Which branch of DIscourse are you on?

I don’t know… how do i check that?

My version is v1.9.0.beta2 +86

version: tests-passed

Hmm I’m pretty sure the interpolation keys have been corrected. Maybe try rebuilding again?

I rebuilded again but this template still has a problem…