So I found what was said to be the easiest way to start a Discourse dev env up: VAGRANT.md.
In there I read:
- Install Git: Git - Downloads (or GitHub for Windows if you want a GUI)
- Install VirtualBox: Downloads – Oracle VM VirtualBox
- Install Vagrant: http://www.vagrantup.com/ (We require Vagrant 1.7.2 or later)
- Open a terminal
- Clone the project:
git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse.git
- Enter the project directory:
So I followed steps 123 (I already have git and cloned a fork of discourse on my Windows laptop) and installed Virtualbox for my Windows then Vagrant for my Windows.
Until I realised, well:
- Are those steps starting from Vagrant installation shouldn’t have been done from inside Virtualbox?
- My Virtualbox is just empty, what OS should I put here?
- Why install git before Virtualbox if it should be inside?
I am confused.
I have done three first steps but fourth step tells me to open terminal. In Virtualbox? Which VDI?
I must be even dumber than what was expected making those easy dev env install docs.
Are there some official pre‐installed VDI image? Like this seemingly outdated image?
Should the doc have been interpreted as following?
From my point of view (for my low level abilities), some steps were missing.