How to Install Discourse on LocalHost in Windows?

I wanted to Install Discourse on my local machine I have windows 8 as OS, Please help in the installation of Discourse in my localhost.
I have installed my website on my local and now I want to install discourse

helicalinsight.com (this is my website) and I have discourse forum on my website
forum.helicalinsight.com

now I want forum.localhost(Is this possible)

I have 0 Knowledge on rails app (I followed this as well but it didn’t helped me Discourse as Your First Rails App | BlogDiscourse)

Thank You

1 Like

Have a look at Beginners Guide to Install Discourse on Windows 10 for Development for details about setting up a dev environment on Windows. You will need to upgrade from Windows 8. An alternative would be to install Linux on your computer and then follow Beginners Guide to Install Discourse on Ubuntu for Development.

7 Likes

[command line instructions ahead…]

Vagrant, a virtual machine manager written in Ruby, is an option for Windows 8; it provides a WSL-like environment (Windows Subsystem for Linux, a Windows 10 feature).

Vagrant can use Docker, Hyper-V or VirtualBox as a virtual machine provider, in case you already have one of those installed. If not, the easiest tool to use for setup is Chocolatey; once Chocolatey is installed, the command choco install -y virtualbox vagrant will install both Vagrant and VirtualBox.

From there, follow the Vagrant Project Setup guide to install an Ubuntu VM, e.g. vagrant init hashicorp/bionic64 (or bionic32 if your Windows 8 install is 32-bit).

Beginners Guide to Install Discourse on Windows 10 for Development should be usable from there (I hope).

3 Likes

Note. Vagrant is not supported at all, you would use either a VM or WSL2 which is probably the easiest.

8 Likes

Vagrant is just a VM manager, for VMs provided by Microsoft’s Hyper-V, or VirtualBox, or VMware (more involved setup, but possible to use). In that sense, Vagrant is a lot like WSL2 which just provides a specialized Hyper-V VM with some additional Microsoft-sanctioned Windows/Linux integration.

1 Like

I may be mistaken but the expectation with vagrant would be that we maintain config for it and publish an image. These are 2 things that are not on the table.

For a very low touch setup that allows you to go from 0 - 100 very quickly use WSL2 + Docker dev

Beginners Guide to Install Discourse for Development using Docker

4 Likes

Forgot this thread was left dangling. Vagrant is just a dev tool (a VM manager) that doesn’t strictly need a config file to be useful, and certainly not a dedicated image (it’ll quickly bring up a VM capable of hosting Docker & running Discourse scrips like discourse-setup & launcher just fine).

There’s already a Vagrantfile at discourse_docker/blob/master/Vagrantfile
and simple instructions at the end of discourse_docker/blob/master/README.md for hacking on discourse_docker.