Edit Category > Images > Logo & Background Image Issue (1.4.3 and 1.5)

I’ve had this same issue on 1.4.3 and 1.5. I had hoped 1.5 would fix it as I saw another similar issue in this regard posted elsewhere.

How did this happen?

I am not 100 percent sure of the accuracy to the order I added images.

• Added category logo image.
  • Wanted to see how a separate background image would look. Added background image.
  • Soon decided the background image would not work. Removed background image, leaving logo image only.
  • Background image remained, despite supposedly being removed.
  • Decided to delete logo image too, as an added measure.
  • Save and refresh, no logo or background images appear now.
  • Added same logo image back from before.
  • Did not add background image back.
  • Somehow both images reappear. How is this possible?
  • Figured something is messed up with my browser cache, so I clear it.
  • Same problem rinse and repeat multiple times.
  • Remove both images due to hassle.
  • Version 1.5 arrives.
  • I try once again to add the logo image hoping a fix had snuck into 1.5 for this issue.
  • No avail.

You can clearly see from the following image, I have only uploaded a jpg logo image. There is no background image, yet it appears nevertheless.

Look at the background behind the UI popup.

And so I ask, what the heck is going on?

I would also like to add the following issue:

As seen above, when creating a new topic and selecting the category drop down menu, scrolling to the specific category shown results in a massive image being displayed that should not exist. No other category has this issue. The image shown is in the ‘about this category’ topic but that is all.

3 Likes

While your steps are detailed, I could not reproduce your issue. I tried both locally and on try and every time I removed the background image and refreshed the page, it was gone.

3 Likes

I appreciate you looking into this issue. I may make a few attempts myself on try as well. Dunno why I said that as I won’t have the necessary permissions to test something like this. However, I’m skeptical that this issue will be repeatable on 1.5. I believe that, while this issue appears to be repeatable (for our install) on 1.5 it is merely a relic of a problem that started on 1.4.x. The forum acts like one of the images was never properly deleted. So, for us, when any logo image is added, the background image formerly added on 1.4.x reappears until the logo image is once more removed.

A peculiar issue. It is late here (early rather) so I will spend some time looking into this further tomorrow. I will report back on what I find, if I find anything.

1 Like

Apologies for the delayed reply and my misinterpretation of the issue I have presented above.

To be clear, upon further analysis, the above functionality is the intended design and there are no bugs present in what I presented.

So what happened then?

The reason that a background image seemed to appear after adding in a category logo image is because in the “about this category” topic I had placed the same image that kept appearing in the top of the topic.

I had mentioned this above and I’m glad I did add in that detail. It’s just unfortunate I didn’t put two and two together sooner.

Whenever I added a category logo image, the image in the top of the “about this category” topic would also appear due to how the Discourse category summary feature works in conjunction with the application of a category logo image. When a category logo image is not applied to the category, the “about this category” topic no longer gets summarized, thus the misidentified ‘background image’ disappears too.

So, if that jumble of words made little to no sense…

Logo image applied to category + image at the top of a “about this category” topic = summarization of “about this category” topic.

Result: That image is summarized in its full size and glory. To me, while this is intended functionality, it shouldn’t be. But I’ll save that for another topic.

Moving the image in the “about this category” topic toward the bottom means it no longer gets summarized and no longer appears in that section, just in the topic itself.

Again, I apologize for wasting anyone’s time investigating this non issue.

4 Likes

It’s OK. Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed answer :thumbsup: