Edit link to replied-to post after move

I have kind of a situation here. In short, I had to move a reply that was made to a post in topic A, to another topic B. Then for various reasons it made sense to remove the post that was replied to, which had the URL of /t/14/18.

In topic B, the reply that I moved has an auto-generated link to the replied-to post (that no longer exists), and that link has the original URL of /t/14/18. If I hit that link or go to that URL I’m redirected to what seems to be the closest active post in topic A that has an ID as close as possible to the original replied-to ID 18. Before I removed a second post I was redirected to /t/14/17, but after removing that one I am not redirected to /t/14/19 instead.

This is where my problem happens - that post /t/14/19 makes no sense for the reply in topic B, and I would like to edit the link in that reply so it instead points to e.g. /t/14/16. But I can’t find a way to edit the link, as it’s an auto-generated one, presumably stored somewhere in the system.

Is there a way to fix this? Or if not, can I at least delete the auto-generated link so I can manually add a reference at the top of the reply post in topic B?

Instructions:

1. Go to the thread where the reply was posted originally before you moved it (“thread A” in your case).

2. Find the post that states you have split the topic and moved a post to another topic. It will say something like:

[username] SPLIT THIS TOPIC […] AGO
    A post was merged into an existing topic: Thread B Topic Title

You may have hidden / deleted it already, in which case click “VIEW 1 HIDDEN REPLY” to see it again.

3. Edit that post and delete the link to thread B in it. This will remove the auto-generated link that had appeared in your thread B.

Explanation: these auto-generated links are like “backlink indicators” in WordPress: they point back to the topic that contains a link to the current topic. By removing that link as shown above, the auto-generated link also disappears automatically.

3 Likes