Editing and Deleting window should be tied to trust level

We have a user on the HTG forum who decided that they hated all of their old posts… and has gone on a deleting spree, which leaves weird holes in topics, and then keeps pushing old topics to the first page for no reason.

The problem is that by default all posts can be edited or deleted for up to 1 year… and while sure, I can change that default (and already did), it also means that other useful forum members can’t do any editing after the much shorter window that I imposed.

My idea is that the delete window should be tied to the trust level. So level 1 users would only have a shorter window for editing and deleting, and as the trust level increases, they would have more ability to edit older posts.

It’s not a critical feature, but it does seem like something logical that might be included at some point.

1 Like

Sounds interesting, few questions

• What trust level is this user?
  • Should we not simply have “rage deleting” protection, eg you can not delete more than N posts in a day or something.

That user is trust level 2 right now. I’d propose that you need to be level 3 to edit and delete posts older than a certain threshold.

Rage deleting protection is also a great idea.

1 Like

@sam is right, we just need another rate limit on deletion.

See kids, this is what happens when you don’t rate limit everything.

1 Like

In that case you should also put a rate limit on editing older posts, because they can just edit and remove most of the text, accomplishing the same thing.

Sure, totally, should probably be the same rate limit.

Also … while at it, we should automatically flag any posts that triggered that limit.