Eliminating the 'educational panel'

(Seth Godin) #1

I’m not sure what it’s called, but I do know what it looks like:

I’d like to set this to NEVER appear. If I can’t have that, I’d like it to appear once in the entire lifetime of a user. As it is set now, it shows up twice in every single category.

Help!!

thanks.

Your support is amazing. Just extraordinary.

Seth

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Hi Seth,

This should only appear two times in the lifetime of every user, on their first and second replies.

(There is a similar advice panel for creating new topics, which would also appear twice in the lifetime of every user – the first and second time that the user creates a new topic.)

I don’t know if this is disable-able but you can certainly change the copy on it as needed via Admin, Customize, Text.

(Jay Pfaffman) #3

Search settings for “panel” (or “education”):

(Seth Godin) #4

Thanks Jeff

I know that I’ve already seen it 6 times in setting up the final bits for our launch tomorrow.

(Seth Godin) #5

POW! thanks Jay. That’s what I was hoping for.

(Jay Pfaffman) #6

Hmm. @codinghorror’s note makes me think that this is just “new posts” AKA “topics”, and not replies.

(Seth Godin) #7

we’ll tweak and I’ll report back. I knew that there had to be a setting for it, but couldn’t find it… will check

thanks

(Jeff Atwood) #8

I think there might be some bugs around staff users on this education panel, then, but I’m pretty confident a regular user would only see it twice in their lifetime.

However, there are two versions of this education panel…

• one for new replies
  • one for new topics

as the advice for creating new topics differs a bit from the advice for creating a new reply.

(Seth Godin) #9

educate
and
until posts

each bring up just one match in search.

the same one that Jay pointed to

do you have a hint on where the other panel is?

(Jeff Atwood) #10

I believe that is the setting that controls both panels, the panel for new replies, and the panel for new topics.

(Seth Godin) #11

bingo

thanks gentlemen.

here we go.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #12

No repro, but I’ve also encountered this (with an admin account) on one of my sites. It’s not my account, but one I impersonated during setup due to SSO restrictions), so I never cared enough to investigate further.