Email notification template ignored for new topics

Upgraded to 3.1.1 (after upgrading to 3.1.0 from 2.8.x). My

user_notifications.user_posted.text_body_template and user_notifications.user_watching_first_post.text_body_template are custom templates … they are very simple one liners %{username} created a new topic [%{topic_title}](%{url})

In 2.8.x they were working fine. After upgrading, they are now ignored. The emails notifications are the full blown defaults that include the post content, etc.

The user_notifications.user_posted.subject_template is also ignored.

I haven’t tested every template but it looks some of them are definitely ignored in the new version

1 Like

For some reason the user_watching_first_post template isn’t listed in the list of templates that can be edited on the Admin / Customize / Email page, but the user_watching_first_post email type is still being used by Discourse:

The template can be edited from the Admin / Customize / Text page, but this is an overly confusing thing to have to do. In general, I find the way that email templates can be edited on both the text customization page and the Email page to be confusing:

For your case, it also seems that the changes that have been made are not backwards compatible. I don’t know if that’s something that can be fixed.

Again there’s the issue with backwards compatibility when upgrading from 2.8 to 3.11. Other than that, you should be able to edit the User Posted template from the Admin / Customize / Email page to make the changes you are looking for:

1 Like

It seems I failed to make myself understood. It doesn’t matter which GUI paneI use to edit those templates - they are ignored. Using the Email / User Posted GUI (to edit both subject and body templates) doesn’t make a difference – whatever I change is ignored, as explained in the first post.

I identified the placeholder names to make it easier for devs to look at it.