Emails forwarded with Apple Mail & iPhone Mail are not detected as forwards

Part of [Paid] Meta-request for ticketing system related improvements

(This looks more like a bug for Apple Mail than for Discourse, but…)

Forwarded emails are rendering as expected in our instance… except when they are forwarded from Apple Mail or iPhone Mail.

Expected behavior:

• New topic created by the staged user that sent the original message…
  • … followed by a first reply from the user (staged or not) that forwarded the original email.

Actual behavior with Apple Mail / iPhone Mail

• New topic created by the user (staged or not) forwarding the message. The forwarded email appears as trimmed content. Expanding shows a text looking like a reply. There is no easy way to respond to the original sender.

And it looks like a reply because Apple Mail does seem to render forwards as replies. Excerpt from the raw message:

> Begin forwarded message:
> 
> From: E. <etc@etc.etc>
> Subject: Forward test 
> Date: February 7, 2019 at 12:52:15 PM PST
> To: bla@bla.bla
> 
> Will this one work?
> 
> Sent from my iPhone

The syntax used by the Apple Mail desktop app is the same.

5 Likes

(Edited to clarify: the bug happens when you forward using Apple Mail / iPhone Mail. It does not happen when you forward emails from a “proper” email client.)

3 Likes

This one also seems like something that perhaps should be handled in Discourse itself. What do you think @sam?

Yeah handling the way we handle forwarded emails is in scope for Discourse core.

@dan can you add this to your list.

3 Likes

Thank you for investigating this problem. For now, I have removed the [paid] tag and I have moved this topic back to #bug.

This has been fixed in this pull request.

Thanks for reporting the bug!

5 Likes