Emails not being received, except staff

Evening everyone.

Been a user of Discourse for a few years - but first time poster as this is the first time I have needed help! :sos:

Current version: 2.9.0.beta1 on a Digital Ocean droplet. SMTP provided via Mailgun

I migrated the forum to a new droplet and did all the required DNS record changes. Server is up, forum is up - everything is working fine…

Except - We’re not receiving mail. Well, that’s not strictly true. The staff/admins can receive mail - namely the password reset email. But none of my other members can.

I’ve run tests with a separate non-admin account I have, and sure enough, if I send the test email via the admin panel it arrives without any issue - so the SMTP is fine. However, if I then try to recover my Password - nothing. If I check the admin sent panel, it doesn’t even show it trying to be sent. Nothing.

I also tested to see if I could register as new user to see if I would get the confirmation/verification email - Nothing came through.

Both the Discourse panel and the Mailgun panel aren’t showing any bounces or anything. It’s like its just not sending at all.

Could it be a permission thing? Is it a really simple setting that I’ve overlooked or changed without knowing? I’ve tried everything I can think of, and now starting to tear my hair out.

Have you disabled email to non-staff in the disable email admin setting?

3 Likes

:man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

OMG. Yes. I trawled all the settings looking for something like that - and didn’t see it. Don’t know how it was turned to disable emails though - because there is only me that changes settings… and I didn’t even know about it! Gremlins!

Anyhow - huge huge thank you. I feel kinda stupid now. I knew it’d be a simple settings thing.

1 Like

No worries. :slightly_smiling_face: I think the migration automatically puts it in ‘non-staff’ mode to avoid sending out any accidental digest/summary emails after you’ve moved (I’ve not done one myself though).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.