Updated latest beta (got warning about critical update), now Discourse won't start

I ran update from frontend as I thought it might fix a onebox embedding issue. Thought I’d run a rebuild, just because. But this is the last message:

Hosted with digitalocean.

FAILED
--------------------
Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'SKIP_EMBER_CLI_COMPILE=1 bundle exec rake themes:update assets:precompile' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 788 exit 1>
Location of failure: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.3.0/gems/pups-1.2.1/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:132:in `spawn'
exec failed with the params {"cd"=>"$home", "tag"=>"precompile", "hook"=>"assets_precompile", "cmd"=>["su discourse -c 'SKIP_EMBER_CLI_COMPILE=1 bundle exec rake themes:update assets:precompile'"]}
bootstrap failed with exit code 1
** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one.
./discourse-doctor may help diagnose the problem.
90fa3dc632feafe86edf69feca9c1a1a48f166e6368e6503b5768d01af622f3d

Running ./discourse-doctor just runs a rebuild. I’ve already tried that, but it failed. Anyone else experienced this?

I’m afraid I’m not very au fait with Linux so might need some handholding in what to look for/how to fix.

The rebuild by discourse doctor seems to have fixed it!

1 Like

Did it rebuild, or did it restart the existing app? What version number is on your dashboard? (The blue number)

Just as an FYI, the errors are further up in the logs, so sharing more of the tail end can help people figure out what the specific problem is.

3 Likes

edc6b6f26c 3.3.0 beta 5 dev

I tried a straight rebuild after the update whereas about 5-10 mins later the site wouldn’t respond to refreshing browser.

So checked CLI and (the above) was there.

After that I ran another rebuild, whereon I noticed the doctor thing, so I tried that.

I did notice that the app had managed to start (although I don’t usually watch it run through) and seemed to be happier when it finished.

I’m afraid I don’t even know how to check the logs to see what it said :grimacing:

If you run another rebuild, does it succeed? If not, please scroll up a bit through those logs for the true errors.

1 Like

Was brave enough to do another rebuild today (last time was on my birthday and I did not want the grief of having to spend all day fixing it.

Ran fine, didn’t see anything that stuck out as a red flag in the log so happy days!

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.