Error Upgrading Discourse + Discourse Plugins

Hi everyone,

When attempting to upgrade Discourse (and plugins, though I’m less concerned about them), it kept getting about 40% through the loading bar and then stopped with an error message: Sorry, there was an error upgrading Discourse. Please check the logs below. However, looking at the logs didn’t point out any errors or failures from what I could tell.

After going back to the Versions tab, it said an upgrade was available for Discourse, however there were no new commits. After refreshing, I now have no option to update Discourse, yet in my Admin panel it says that an upgrade is still available.

Are there any troubleshooting steps I could try for this? Unfortunately I’m not very familiar with working through the PuTTY tool, so if that’s where I’d need to go, I just need it a bit more broken down so I can follow along. Not sure if it’s related, but users also cannot upload a custom avatar and it’s no longer selecting the default avatar we had set (it’s just a grey person).

Thanks!

Edit: After refreshing my admin page, I received the following alert. Perhaps it’s related?

Edit 2: And now after refreshing once more, it says everything is fine and updated. I guess this can be ignored! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You were updating through the web updater? If anything weird happens just log in via SSH and rebuild from the command line.

Please SSH into your server and run:

cd /var/discourse
git pull
./launcher rebuild app
3 Likes