Error upon installing - failed to register layer: Error processing tar file(exit status 1):

caccdbcee96e: Extracting [==================================================>] 865.5MB/865.5MB

failed to register layer: Error processing tar file(exit status 1): write /var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/cppjieba_rb-0.3.3/ext/cppjieba/dict/jieba.dict.utf8: no space left on device

2.0.20210528-1735: Pulling from discourse/base

69692152171a: Pull complete

caccdbcee96e: Extracting [==================================================>] 865.5MB/865.5MB

failed to register layer: Error processing tar file(exit status 1): write /var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/cppjieba_rb-0.3.3/ext/cppjieba/dict/jieba.dict.utf8: no space left on device

Unable to find image ‘discourse/base:2.0.20210528-1735’ locally

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

That means you are out of space on the disk. You need to cleanup some space or get a larger disk.

3 Likes

Are you following How to install Discourse in production? discourse-setup does a disk space check, so it’s surprising that you would get your error.

2 Likes

I have plenty of space. I wish that was the issue

1 Like

Yup, followed that exact guide. This is a brand new install of ubuntu on AWS (Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS) with all the latest updates. I have plenty of space. I even tried one more time by cleaning (deleting) everything thing out and tried it again. This time I installed docker first and had that working with the Hello World docker check and tried installing discourse again. Same thing happened stating “failed to register layer…no space left on device”

1 Like

You do not. You have a total of 7.7G. You can probably get by with 20GB, but I’d recommend at least 30GB.

When you ran discourse-setup didn’t it say something about not having enough space and running a cleanup? I thought that it wouldn’t start without a minimum of 5GB of free space.

Your wish has come true! :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks I did not realize that I needed that much space. I have increased it to 40GB. I am now having a different problem installing.

FAILED
--------------------
Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake themes:update assets:precompile' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 3983 exit 1>

Location of failure: /pups/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:112:in `spawn'

exec failed with the params {"cd"=>"$home", "hook"=>"assets_precompile", "cmd"=>["su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake themes:update assets:precompile'"]}

ed6d1770be5db6fb0f591aeebf4071b3f237666360be1335b2c3053db6e0f6b2

** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one.

There is this thread that seems to be a similar issue and says to remove the Glyphy plugin? How is that done and where is it located? Also, why would a brand new install contain a plugin that causes issues?

1 Like

You need to

We need earlier log lines to help you.

1 Like

maybe this!

rake aborted!
NameError: undefined local variable or method `name' for main:Object
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/assets.rake:337:in `rescue in block (2 levels) in <main>'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/assets.rake:326:in `block (2 levels) in <main>'

Caused by:
OpenURI::HTTPError: 401 Error: Invalid license key
/var/www/discourse/lib/file_helper.rb:64:in `block in download'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:434:in `block (3 levels) in safe_get'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:433:in `catch'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:433:in `block (2 levels) in safe_get'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-2.3.3/lib/patches/net_patches.rb:19:in `block in request_with_mini_profiler'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-2.3.3/lib/mini_profiler/profiling_methods.rb:46:in `step'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-2.3.3/lib/patches/net_patches.rb:18:in `request_with_mini_profiler'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:405:in `block in safe_get'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:448:in `block in safe_session'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:446:in `safe_session'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:397:in `safe_get'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:134:in `get'
/var/www/discourse/lib/file_helper.rb:56:in `download'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse_ip_info.rb:39:in `mmdb_download'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/assets.rake:328:in `block (3 levels) in <main>'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/assets.rake:327:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/assets.rake:327:in `block (2 levels) in <main>'
Tasks: TOP => assets:precompile
(See full trace by running task with --trace)
I, [2021-09-13T18:22:12.235681 #1]  INFO -- : Downloading MaxMindDB...
Compressing Javascript and Generating Source Maps
2 Likes

That means your DISCOURSE_MAXMIND_LICENSE_KEY is invalid. Either remove or fix it in order to proceed.

2 Likes

Thank you so much I am now golden with my install!

2 Likes