Error upon installing - failed to register layer: Error processing tar file(exit status 1):

caccdbcee96e: Extracting [==================================================>] 865.5MB/865.5MB

failed to register layer: Error processing tar file(exit status 1): write /var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/cppjieba_rb-0.3.3/ext/cppjieba/dict/jieba.dict.utf8: no space left on device

2.0.20210528-1735: Pulling from discourse/base

69692152171a: Pull complete

caccdbcee96e: Extracting [==================================================>] 865.5MB/865.5MB

failed to register layer: Error processing tar file(exit status 1): write /var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/cppjieba_rb-0.3.3/ext/cppjieba/dict/jieba.dict.utf8: no space left on device

Unable to find image ‘discourse/base:2.0.20210528-1735’ locally

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

That means you are out of space on the disk. You need to cleanup some space or get a larger disk.

3 Likes

---------- Пересылаемое сообщение ---------
От: Rafael dos Santos Silva via Discourse Meta <meta@discoursemail.com>
Дата: понедельник, 13 сентября 2021 г.
Тема: [Discourse Meta] [installation] Error upon installing - failed to register layer: Error processing tar file(exit status 1):
Кому: msnmalser@gmail.com

Рафаэль дос Сантос Силва Команда Falco 13 сентября

AndreTechExec:

на устройстве не осталось свободного места

Это означает, что вам не хватает места на диске. Вам нужно очистить место или получить диск большего размера.

Прикрепленный файл001.png

1 Like

Are you following How to install Discourse in production? discourse-setup does a disk space check, so it’s surprising that you would get your error.

1 Like

I have plenty of space. I wish that was the issue

Yup, followed that exact guide. This is a brand new install of ubuntu on AWS (Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS) with all the latest updates. I have plenty of space. I even tried one more time by cleaning (deleting) everything thing out and tried it again. This time I installed docker first and had that working with the Hello World docker check and tried installing discourse again. Same thing happened stating “failed to register layer…no space left on device”

You do not. You have a total of 7.7G. You can probably get by with 20GB, but I’d recommend at least 30GB.

When you ran discourse-setup didn’t it say something about not having enough space and running a cleanup? I thought that it wouldn’t start without a minimum of 5GB of free space.

Your wish has come true! :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks I did not realize that I needed that much space. I have increased it to 40GB. I am now having a different problem installing.

FAILED
--------------------
Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake themes:update assets:precompile' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 3983 exit 1>

Location of failure: /pups/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:112:in `spawn'

exec failed with the params {"cd"=>"$home", "hook"=>"assets_precompile", "cmd"=>["su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake themes:update assets:precompile'"]}

ed6d1770be5db6fb0f591aeebf4071b3f237666360be1335b2c3053db6e0f6b2

** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one.

There is this thread that seems to be a similar issue and says to remove the Glyphy plugin? How is that done and where is it located? Also, why would a brand new install contain a plugin that causes issues?

1 Like

You need to

We need earlier log lines to help you.

1 Like

maybe this!

rake aborted!
NameError: undefined local variable or method `name' for main:Object
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/assets.rake:337:in `rescue in block (2 levels) in <main>'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/assets.rake:326:in `block (2 levels) in <main>'

Caused by:
OpenURI::HTTPError: 401 Error: Invalid license key
/var/www/discourse/lib/file_helper.rb:64:in `block in download'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:434:in `block (3 levels) in safe_get'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:433:in `catch'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:433:in `block (2 levels) in safe_get'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-2.3.3/lib/patches/net_patches.rb:19:in `block in request_with_mini_profiler'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-2.3.3/lib/mini_profiler/profiling_methods.rb:46:in `step'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-2.3.3/lib/patches/net_patches.rb:18:in `request_with_mini_profiler'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:405:in `block in safe_get'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:448:in `block in safe_session'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:446:in `safe_session'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:397:in `safe_get'
/var/www/discourse/lib/final_destination.rb:134:in `get'
/var/www/discourse/lib/file_helper.rb:56:in `download'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse_ip_info.rb:39:in `mmdb_download'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/assets.rake:328:in `block (3 levels) in <main>'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/assets.rake:327:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/assets.rake:327:in `block (2 levels) in <main>'
Tasks: TOP => assets:precompile
(See full trace by running task with --trace)
I, [2021-09-13T18:22:12.235681 #1]  INFO -- : Downloading MaxMindDB...
Compressing Javascript and Generating Source Maps
1 Like

That means your DISCOURSE_MAXMIND_LICENSE_KEY is invalid. Either remove or fix it in order to proceed.

2 Likes

Thank you so much I am now golden with my install!

2 Likes