Desktop PWA works with Discourse!

I remember getting pretty upset when Chrome shutdown the app launcher, this was a feature I used on quite a few sites.

Luckily thanks to work we have done for Android you can have it back now on your Discourse site.

Head to: chrome://flags/#enable-desktop-pwas , turn it on.

If you also want to capture links and send to the page enable Desktop PWAs Link Capturing and there is also some extra caching you can turn on.

Then, visit your Discourse site and click “Install to desktop…”

You now have a dedicated application you can launch for your Discourse site.

Special thanks to @Falco and @featheredtoast for pushing us to support this fancy on Android cause now it pays off and we get it on desktop as well!

On Chrome on Mac the terminology is a bit different, but it works nonetheless.

It is important to note that this will not work with for you on all sites, you need a manifest and some fancy to support it.

Note This is definitely a big Electron killer for simple repackages given that it is stuck on Chrome 59 now.

42 Likes

There are a few things I want to clean up here that I will do in a theme component.

I think that in PWA desktop mode

• The title should be a static “Discourse meta” cause the text duplication here is really annoying

• Mini Profiler needs to find another spot cause it is really annoying there.

• Big logo seems too much visually

• A back button and refresh button would be nice

Luckily we have window.matchMedia('(display-mode: standalone)').matches to detect if we are in this mode so its simple to make a component to clean this stuff up.

12 Likes

One thing I played with a bit is adding stats like:

• Pageviews from PWA
  • Installations

To the Discourse Admin Dashboard and/or Google Analytics.

We can detect pageviews with that media query and installs with:

window.addEventListener('beforeinstallprompt', function(e) {
  // beforeinstallprompt Event fired

// e.userChoice will return a Promise.
  // For more details read: https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/getting-started/primers/promises
  e.userChoice.then(function(choiceResult) {

console.log(choiceResult.outcome);

if(choiceResult.outcome == 'dismissed') {
      console.log('User cancelled home screen install');
    }
    else {
      console.log('User added to home screen');
    }
  });
});
12 Likes

Super cool feature! :star_struck:

Is it planned to support this feature in hosted instances?

Oh it works on all discourse sites (hosted by us or self hosted), as long as you are on beta and up and have https enabled and enforced

Try it on random sites on the Internet and you will have less luck, Twitter does not work, mattermost does not and the list goes on

5 Likes

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I meant on Discourse-hosted sites. I tried on Meta and the desktop app works perfect, but in our site https://brain.goodrebels.com/ the desktop app opens a new tab in Chrome. Perhaps we have to wait a bit for the latest update? or change some settings in /admin?

Hmm :thinking: we will investigate this cc @Falco @featheredtoast

I wonder if this is related to your site requiring login

1 Like

Worked for me on our require-logon site, FWIW

This is pretty interesting stuff. What are the advantages / disadvantages of using Discourse this way? I’d love to hear folks thoughts on this.

I know very little about this, so I’m just speaking based on what I saw in 2 min.

Wired: It’s really easy now to open the app now with Spotlight on Mac
Tired: I can only have one tab open

Wired: I can brag about how we have an app now (kinda)
Tired: I can only have one tab open

… you get the idea. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah IMO this is kind of pointless. It’s like a web browser… but worse!

5 Likes

Yeah I get that, I would find this more useful if there was only 1 discourse site I visited and if the icon on the desktop taskbar updated with notifications. But, I float between lots of sites so for me there is more limited use unless I had an app to bind all my sites, and even then lack of tabs is a big pain.

For chat (eg slack, mattermost) I find this very useful which is why I actually started this research. If my job was to moderate a single Discourse site I would also find this useful.

So yeah, I do not think this will be for everyone, but for some it may be handy, especially if there was some value add in the taskbar.

13 Likes

I think it could work well, but it would take some additional work on the design of the UI. For instance, in Slack, you don’t need browser tabs because the navigation between channels is built into the app as a first class citizen. Maybe similar things could be done with theme components, where the UI could be designed within these new constraints.

That might work very well for many of our users who do fit into this mode for the most part:

6 Likes

How does this relate to the instructions at

3 Likes

Same old wine in a brand new bottle.

3 Likes

Oh this topic was focusing on the ability to install Discourse in Desktops (which is no longer experimental).

The other one was mostly about the experimental Badging API. To use the Badging API you need to install to desktop, so this one here is a pre-requirement.

3 Likes

First post looks quite wrong though? If it is not “experimental” where is that chrome menu item??

Yeah this is totally out of date, no point carrying this topic anymore.

Is a very big killer here usability wise. Now that his is official we should write a proper theme component to make PWA work as expected.

4 Likes

There is one here:

Looks like it’s aimed at mobile iOS.

To get the menu entry in Chrome we must enable the service worker in desktop.

Yes but the tradeoff is that service worker adds a ton of support emails to our work… did you want to whitelist the service worker for Chrome and Firefox or something like that @sam in addition to Android?

I think we should whitelist Chrome now … hold off on whitelisting Firefox till this is done:

4 Likes

Ok @falco can you do the needful on whitelist? We already whitelist Chrome / Android as I recall.

4 Likes