Facebook-like User Wall?

(Michael Eisenriegler) #1

Forgive me my ignorance, but I am looking for a forum software which supports Facebook-style user walls in addition to everything else. I’m thinking of a page where a user can post personal things and others can comment - sort of like a one-person public group everyone can subscribe to. Is there a plugin or anything which would give this functionality?

Greetings,

Michael

How would this be different than a listing of @user mentions? I am just curious.

(Michael Eisenriegler) #3

Well, it would be much more about presenting oneselves life with pictures, quotes, thoughts. The only applicable subject would be “me”, not a topic of a forum. Facebook does some things very well, why not copy them?

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #4

That isn’t what Discourse is. Discourse is a discussion forum. From the team: “We’re on a ten year mission to improve the Internet with free, open-source discussion software that raises the level of discourse for the entire world.” (emphasis mine). What you seem to be looking for is a social media or personal blog system. I’d suggest using SSO to integrate an existing system into Discourse, rather than turn Discourse into something it is not.

No argument that Facebook does things well, but Discourse isn’t trying to make a social media platform - that’s why it doesn’t make a lot of sense to copy what they do.

(Michael Eisenriegler) #5

Yes, of course. I’d just love to have a decent online forum with strong Social Media features, this is no contradiction. In fact, in the early days of online communities, this distinction did not exist at all. But maybe I’m just old-fashioned… :slight_smile: