Facebook OneBox shows wrong language

Strange. I linked from finnish Facebook group to finnish Discourse and I got this:

I’m quite sure texts in OneBox is not finnish :rofl:

Let’s try it here:

Ok, now I got different language.

Any guessing what is making this?.

I once heard that Facebook uses the same language as the forum’s server location.

My server is in Finland, and your link displays:

On my France-hosted forum:

I don’t know if there is any way to prevent this.

edit:
More info here

5 Likes

Hi Canapin, This is a really interesting info, thanks. :slightly_smiling_face: I checked mine and I can confirm the onebox is in German language as our server is in Frankfurt.

Edit: I tried it many times now to check what is happening and it is not always in German language :thinking: It seems to random for me. For example now it is in Russian language.

1 Like

Good explanation, but mine is in Germany and I don’t believe this forum is served from… is that chinese or something.

Plus this was very first time when something like this happened.

Hosting in Germany here, very interesting, didn’t know. Curious to see if there’s a workaround.

Messing around a bit with the html here. Maybe Discourse should add some tag(s) and that would solve the problem?

The first one is just an example, maybe some lang addition?
The second one (from above) has some funny stuff after the rel, maybe that messes things up.

https://usnconeboxax1aos.cloud.onebox.dynamics.com/?cmp=DEMF&mi=CustParameters&lng=en-us

<h3><a href="https://www.facebook.com/groups/vaellusgroup/permalink/10159228526086173" target="_blank" rel="noopener">?????????</a></h3>

Just thinking out loud here…

Wondering if anyone found workable solutions. Would really love to get the language most of my forum members are best at reading…

There isn’t any other solution than embedding only Facebook content that isn’t needing login.

But I reckon that was some glitch from Facebook itself, because the situation is different nowadays.

I’m oneboxing now from same group than I did at OP, using DiscourseHub like earlier and I’m quite sure CDCK doesn’t change location of theirs server. And I get onebox in finnish as expected because I’m a finn, but unexpected because we are using english here:

So I would say we are in situation where we can’t do anything. Facebook gives that kind meta they want and that’s it.

1 Like

Thank you for the update. We’re self-hosted for Discourse, in English, and Facebook links pretty consistently (I want to say “always”, but I’m not 100% sure) display in Cyrillic. :man_shrugging: I want it to be something on our side that we can fix, but I fear you’re right, and Facebook does what Facebook does. :smiley: I’ll keep digging into our situation, just in case I can find a bit to swap. Thank you again!

As for me, I ended up disabling Facebook oneboxes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.