Failed rebuild (Could not find 'rest-client)

I tried upgrading from 1.8 to 1.9 but ./launcher rebuild app fails. Here’s some lines I think important:

I, [2017-08-02T06:27:53.765784 #15]  INFO -- : > cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake db:migrate'
rake aborted!
Gem::LoadError: Could not find 'rest-client' (>= 0) among 173 total gem(s)
Checked in 'GEM_PATH=/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0', execute `gem env` for more information
/var/www/discourse/lib/plugin_gem.rb:18:in `load'
/var/www/discourse/lib/plugin/instance.rb:379:in `gem'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/df-core/plugin.rb:27:in `activate!'
/var/www/discourse/lib/plugin/instance.rb:326:in `instance_eval'
/var/www/discourse/lib/plugin/instance.rb:326:in `activate!'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:125:in `block in activate_plugins!'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:122:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:122:in `activate_plugins!'
/var/www/discourse/config/application.rb:179:in `<class:Application>'
/var/www/discourse/config/application.rb:26:in `<module:Discourse>'
/var/www/discourse/config/application.rb:25:in `<top (required)>'
/var/www/discourse/Rakefile:5:in `require'
/var/www/discourse/Rakefile:5:in `<top (required)>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.3.0/gems/rake-12.0.0/exe/rake:27:in `<top (required)>'
/usr/local/bin/bundle:22:in `load'
/usr/local/bin/bundle:22:in `<main>'

Help very much appreciated.

You’re running a plugin (df-core, by the look of it) that needs to be updated to be 1.9 compatible. The rest-client gem got removed from core, so now plugins have to specify that themselves if they want it.

3 Likes

You are right. I actually don’t use it. I have cloned it in my own repo and commented most of it out to get around this error.

Any advice on getting around any of these errors? How would I go about requiring the gem if that’s the easiest fix to get up and running?

Well, you could comment out the line that’s activating the plugin (line 27, by the look of it), or you could add gem 'rest-client' up the top.

1 Like

Again, thank you. I killed line 27 and some lines below that and everything is back up :slight_smile: