Failed to boostrap (exit code 137)

Hi there, I’ve searched the forums to see similar issues that error 137 relates to a kill due to not enough memory. I tried some of the solutions people used but I still cannot get it to work without failing to boostrap, causing my discourse to be down for the past few days since I attempted to update to a new version via the web admin interface.

I’ve seen that I may need a swap file, as someone in another post suggested however I already have one which was automatically generated few months ago when I originally started my forum.

The ‘free’ command outputs:

              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:        2097152      124012     1964748           0        8392     1973140
Swap:       2097148           0     2097148

Log of the build: Log for discourse - Pastebin.com

When monitoring the RAM usage, it seems it barely uses 1gb/2gb RAM the server consists of, so I’m not sure why it is klilling the process if it has another GB to use.

Hope I can get some help, thank you! :grinning:

Have you tried a command line rebuild yet?

./launcher rebuild app

Indeed, sorry forgot to mention that’s what I’ve been trying to do as suggested by the ./admin/upgrade page and that’s what the pastebin log is. Originally I was updating to a newer version, then it completely bugged out and errored in the web UI and forum went down.

Also, I tried running the ./discourse-doctor and it also states that the version is “NOT FOUND” but with the same error during the “building…” phase.

Oh. Sorry.

I Think you’ll just need to add more swap.

You should be able to start the old container with

  ./launcher start app

But if the database got migrated then the old container might not work.

Yeah I think it got migrated because the forum is still inaccessible. I’m deleting my old swap right now and will create a new one following the docs, I’ll let you know how it goes.

1 Like

Hey, so I ended up upgrading to 8gb ram and reinstalling ubuntu fully which fixed the issues with building, but I still can’t access the forum for some reason, with error “page cannot be reached”.

.admin/upgrade does show the message “You are running an old version of the Discourse image.” even though I’m running the latest version when I run git pull. So I’m completely confused what this could be. Any idea?

I cannot imagine how those things could all be true. I can’t make sense of it.

If you’re getting an error when you access the site how are you seeing the upgrade page?

And if you did build a new image then you can’t have an old one. But doing a git pull isn’t enough, you need to build and launch a new image. It sounds like you’re still running the old one.

2 Likes

Hey, I got it working in the end. Turns out the reason for the issue with the “page cannot be reached” was cause of Lets Encrypt’s re-certification limit of 5 in a week, so that was my mistake and the page I was seeing was just cached.

In the end I reinstalled the forum, and luckily had a pretty recent backup so I just restored that through the command, and then reinstalled my old plugins. And I also upgraded my the server to 8gb RAM since I might use it for other things and now the forum is all good, no more 137 exit codes. Working great now.

Cheers for all the topic help! :slight_smile:

1 Like