Feature Request: Banned Users Prevent Promotion

(Ryn) #1

Would it be possible to prevent users who have been banned (at any point in time) from being able to be promoted beyond regular user?

It seems like a logical decision considering that a user who has caused enough problems for the community wouldn’t be fit for any handling of powers.

(Toby Erkson) #2

If they’re banned then how would they even be on and using the forum in the first place?

(Ryn) #3

This is meant for users who aren’t permanently banned. After the ban, they continue being able to be promoted to leader/trust level 3.

(Mittineague) #4

So by “Banned” you mean temporarily Suspended?

I’ve seen long-time members that were good “go bad” and I’ve seen problem members “go good”.
The exception, true, but some people can change their ways.

I think if the promotion could be put into some type of Mod approval it could work.

(Ryn) #5

That makes more sense than just going on as if the suspension never happened.

(Mittineague) #6

I was just thinking, this may be moot.

To get to TL3 one of the criteria is

must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)

If this is an “all time” count as opposed to an “in the past __ days”, once a member has gotten 5 Flags they will never make it to TL3

@codinghorror is this the case?

Flag requirements are not looking at disposition
(cpradio) #7

From what I recall, yes it is the case and it simply means you need 5 posts, 1 flag on each post from 5 different users.
https://meta.discourse.org/t/clarifying-the-flag-requirement-for-trust-level-3/17347/2?u=cpradio&source_topic_id=17884

(Ryn) #8

If a user is blatantly posting negative content, it may never reach 5 flags before a moderator/administrator suspends the user. Which is primarily why I thought it would be a good idea for this behavior to exist in the first place.

(Sam Saffron) #9

All out tests only look at the last 100 days.

I think this is over complicating stuff for no real reason. If you ban a user they can not log in, they have no read times, they probably got flagged and so on. Not sure why we also need to check this and there is a rare yet real occasion of “self bans” (using site too often need a break) so we would need to look a ban disposition. ugh.