Feedback about location of new message button

Some feedback from a member:

thanks, tobias. wow, i feel dumb, for some reason it was very hard for me to find that new messages button, and I looked for a long time. i think discourse trained me to always look to the right. you would think they would keep the ux consistent and put it where +new post button usually is! i wonder if others may have that problem. we’ll have to point it out when training folks.

The NEW MESSAGE button has, I think, recently moved from the right side to the left side the message menu. I guess we are saving some vertical space by doing this but at least one member had some trouble finding it.

Personally I’m not too bothered by this change and just look for the blue buttons which are always the main action to take on the page - that’ll be what we point out when we train new members. But it might not be a bad idea to move it to the right side so it is more similar to the NEW POST button elsewhere on the site.

I think we should give this some time, the new location is much closer to what gmail does, so a huge amount of the population is already trained to look for it there.

2 Likes