Feedback on new šŸ” and user menus

What is happening seems to be this:

• the panel-body is set to 100% height of the menu-panel
  • that height includes the 14px of padding (0.5em on top and bottom) that is on the menu-panel
  • the result is that the bottom 14px of the panel-body is clipped

If you temporarily get rid of the padding from the menu-panel you will see that it gets rid of the clipping.

Doing something like the following basically solves the problem, but there should be a more straightforward way:
$panelBody.height('calc(100% - 1em)');
The padding on the menu-panel is still being cut off at the bottom of the screen.

I think a lot of these positioning issues would be easier if Discourse was using the border-box box model.

Iā€™ve submitted a PR that is along these lines, but better.

3 Likes

Integrating notifications into the user menu is a lot cleaner UI-wise; the only complaint Iā€™ve heard from members is that there isnā€™t a direct link to Messages in either the hamburger menu or the user menu. The only access they have is through their own profiles, which seems like an unnecessary hassle.

1 Like

There is a link in the user menu:

2 Likes

It says my Discourse installation is up-to-date in the ACP, but Iā€™m not seeing it.

http://puu.sh/k1Yr9/eec82d03fd.png

1 Like

That is because you are on the latest beta but are several commits ahead. Visit admin/upgrade to get the newer changes

3 Likes

I have a similar issue. I donā€™t even have any extra icons in the top right, but the notification is showing over on the left of the search button.

Iā€™m really liking these changes, but thereā€™s one thing thatā€™s bugging me a bitā€¦

Would it be possible to move these buttons up to the top row (at least the glyphs)?

Itā€™ll make it look more balanced, especially compared to the new user menu.

They do get moved up to the top row once you read the FAQ.

3 Likes

Also keep in mind, this would only balance the design for admins, end users would still have a missing row there.

If we are doing a small icon treatment there I think we should pick something that is generally useful, but I am not convinced anything really fits there.

2 Likes

Uhmā€¦ since Discourse has a minimum browser requirement of 14, hereā€™s a small catch: on FF 17 ESR, the categories are oddly misaligned:

Removing .badge-wrapper.bullet span.badge-category {display: inline-block;} fixes it for FF 17. It might cause problems elsewhere though.

Cool, thanks @simon - hope that fix gets picked up soonā€¦

ā€¦and hereā€™s another :bug:

Currently, if the categories list is sufficiently long, you cannot scroll the :hamburger: dropdown far enough to click on ā€œDesktop viewā€ - scrolling stops before the text of that link becomes visible, rendering that function useless. .ember-view .menu-panel .slide-in is simply some pixels too high.

4 Likes

The scrollbar in the profile menu is still bugging me. Can we do something about it?

I see it on desktop

and mobile (Chrome / Android 5)

4 Likes

The ā€œlog outā€ option is only presented if youā€™ve received at least one notification already.

1 Like

Are you sure? As it doesnā€™t look like that is a constraint. Do you have the site setting enabled to show it?

2 Likes

Oh! I was not aware it was a site setting. Good catch! nevermind then.

Iā€™ve adjusted the logic that estimates how many notifications to show to try and reduce scrollbars from appearing. I also found an issue with the DOM Mutation observer that I fixed. I think youā€™ll be less likely to see scrollbars now.

Seems to be a little bit better, but I usually still get scrollbars on mobile and desktop. Does the logic include the height used by the Log Out link?

It does, itā€™s based on the mutation of the elements. Anything in the DOM that changes will cause a recalculation. Does it look like it can fit but canā€™t? Itā€™s more likely it just canā€™t fit. I am still working on stuff a bit though.

Well, this is what it looks like on my desktop here on meta:

Thatā€™s a lot of notifications and the only reason for the scrollbar is the Log Out link. Iā€™d rather have one less notification in order to get rid of the scrollbar.

2 Likes