Filtering the email digest by category

Hey Discourse,

I recently got a feature request for Babble to suppress chat notifications in the email digest. It’s a feature I don’t really want to develop in the plugin (Babble touches enough parts of the application already, so getting into email land is just another thing that can break), but was wondering if we might be able to put in a site setting to white-or-blacklist certain categories from appearing, which would enable folks to simply blacklist the ‘Chat’ category.

Seems like there’d also be a use case where folks might not be interested in a ‘Random’ category in their email, or maybe some site owner wants to send out just ‘Announcements’ or something.

Maybe this is possible already somehow?

Already happens if the category is muted.

Is there a way to set a default notification level for a category?

Visit the category, look at the upper right. Or your user preferences.

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant, as an admin, is there a way for me to make it so that all future users will receive a certain notification level for a category, without further work on their part?

IE, I want people who sign up to be ‘tracking’ the ‘Announcements’ category, but the ‘Chat’ category is muted by default. (Then they could individually change those settings manually if they cared.)

Yes, that is in the Admin area, do a search for default categories

4 Likes