Notification levels - understanding and communicating category notification levels

Having used Discourse for ~1 year, I’ve underestimated category notification levels, both in terms of how much there is to comprehend, and how much they influence the user experience - too low, and things seem dead, but too high, and people (and spam filters!) get snarky at the quantity of emails.

I’ve created this table to break down the differences between the various options. I’ve been testing it for a few weeks, and I’m mostly confident it’s accurate (which is to say there’s a good chance it’s inaccurate).
Does anyone (a) know of a similar or better resource, or (b) have any edits / updates / suggestions to make this more accurate?

Discourse Notifications testing.pdf (12.7 KB)

2 Likes

There’s some Notification info in the New User Guide that may be useful.

Maybe some links to the sections in Preferences where you can change the settings may be good? (you can make them generic for your site by adding ‘my’ instead of u/username - eg https://meta.discourse.org/my/preferences/notifications)

Preferences/Notifications
Preferences/Categories
Preferences/Emails

1 Like

Thanks @JammyDodger.
This is great info, that will be very helpful in training up our users. I think I’ll still add in more info about category level notifications, but you’ve definitely made my task easier.
Thanks for taking time with the links.

1 Like