Focused sidebar

Hi everyone, how can I add the “Focused Sidebar” theme to my community? Currently this theme is an option here on meta.

5 Likes

You can’t, yet. We have to wait until it’ll be published.

3 Likes

Well, when will that happen? Also, the chat (pre-alpha) feature shows the chat selection option in the sidebar – how does chat work without this sidebar?

3 - 6 months, or something

https://meta.discourse.org/t/how-to-enable-sidebar-theme-on-meta/209866/15

Chat works just fine without it.

3 Likes

Thank you, but your link does not work.

The link works just fine, for me anyway. But you can search that topic by yourself too — keywords are focused sidebar :wink: If I remmember right the topic is third or fourth at the results.

1 Like

I cannot view the topic neither. Maybe it is not public?

1 Like

Yeah that category is limited to people helping us test chat, without the sidebar chat gets an icon in the header. We’re working on a version of the sidebar that will end up in Discourse by default, we’ll start adding those changes over the next few months.

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 11.30.42 AM

9 Likes

You are right. It is on chat-category. I reckoned that someone who’s asking about chat is there.

Sorry. My bad.

One minute, please…

Does ths work:

(And @awesomerobot was one minute faster than I, damn :rofl: )

6 Likes

Thank you, @awesomerobot. So, the sidebar shown on meta now, with the ability to track tags and categories, will be available as a core option soon? What is the estimated timeline for this? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Yeah we’ll be gradually adding these features to core piece by piece… we don’t have a strict timeline, but I imagine we’ll have most of the functionality in over the next 6 months.

8 Likes

Thank you. Great to know. The sidebar is powerful and I can’t wait to get my hands on it!

3 Likes

I really love this theme. I can’t wait to own it. :man_dancing: :man_dancing:

1 Like

Looks great. I’m waiting for this theme.

1 Like

Is the theme out yet? Focused sidebar looks great!

1 Like

We are pulling this functionality into core and it will be available in the next couple of months.

7 Likes

I noticed the current sidebar theme isn’t full-width.

Will the sidebar theme have a full-width option?

Focused sidebar theme is very slick. Can’t wait till it’s publicly available.

3 Likes

I’m so looking forward to this theme.

May I add some feedback:

1. The MESSAGES section only shows “Inbox”, the other buttons are only shown after I click on “Inbox”. Is it possible to show all buttons by default?

Screenshot 2022-07-08 at 16.27.14

2. For read topic highlight, the blue → white → gray color change sequence is not necessary. Blue → gray is much better.

1 Like

Me too, it is amazing. Looking forward to it

3 Likes