Follow Category Button

:discourse2: Summary Follow Category Button replaces the bell icon on category pages with a user intuitive “Follow” button
:eyeglasses: Preview Preview on Discourse Theme Creator
:hammer_and_wrench: Repository https://github.com/discourse/discourse-follow-category
:question: Install Guide How to install a theme or theme component
:open_book: New to Discourse Themes? Beginner’s guide to using Discourse Themes

Install this theme component

What Does It Do?

The Follow Category Button theme component replaces the traditional bell icon on the categories page with a more intuitive “Follow” button.

Here’s how it works:

Why Use It?

This component aims to improve user interaction with categories by making it more apparent and user-friendly to follow important discussions with a click of a button and optimizing for sane default.

Settings

Translation Default
follow_category_button_title Follow
category_options.notifications.title change notification level for this category
category_options.notifications.watching.label Following
category_options.notifications.watching.title Watching
category_options.notifications.watching.description You will automatically watch all topics in this category. You will be notified of every new post in every topic, and a count of new replies will be shown.
category_options.notifications.watching_first_post.label Following
category_options.notifications.watching_first_post.title Watching First Post
category_options.notifications.watching_first_post.description You will be notified of new topics in this category but not replies to the topics.
category_options.notifications.tracking.label Following
category_options.notifications.tracking.title Tracking
category_options.notifications.tracking.description You will automatically track all topics in this category. You will be notified if someone mentions your @name or replies to you, and a count of new replies will be shown.
category_options.notifications.regular.label Follow
category_options.notifications.regular.title Normal
category_options.notifications.regular.description You will be notified if someone mentions your @name or replies to you.
category_options.notifications.muted.label Muted
category_options.notifications.muted.title Muted
category_options.notifications.muted.description You will never be notified of anything about new topics in this category, and they will not appear in latest.

:discourse2: Hosted by us? Theme components are available to use on our Standard, Business, and Enterprise plans.

Last edited by @JammyDodger 2024-06-12T17:35:31Z

Check documentPerform check on document:
14 Likes

This will work perfectly with user custom feed.
like you show only the posts from the categories you are subscribed to as homepage feed.

1 Like

Can this be done for tags also?

2 Likes

Please add follow bell on category page.This helps users quickly follow a category, similar to how social networks are doing

1 Like

Have you already seen this

3 Likes

thank you, I’ve been waiting for this for a long time ^^ really happy that discouse always updates useful features and listens to everyone’s opinions.

2 Likes

To me (if I hadn’t read this post) this Follow button is confusing.

I think it would be more clear if the button text also made reference to what you would be following if you click it – something more like

Follow This Category or Follow the Xyz Category or just Follow Xyz

Or, the button text could be configurable in the settings.

1 Like

It is. You can change all the strings in the theme translations section

4 Likes

I don’t see the theme translations dropdown, is that not available on 3.2.2 stable?

Probably not. I think it was added in March.

2 Likes