Font size or text alignment issues on Meta? Report them here

Related to: Cleaning up our font system

We’re testing out a streamlined font/line-height system here on Meta. If you notice any issues that may be caused by font sizes or text-related spacing issues, report them here.

Please only report potential problems, do not respond with new feature requests.

12 Likes

Numbers in my mickey mouse ears are a bit high.

11 Likes
  • The small action posts use less space than they used to:

• The font size of names and titles above posts increased:

• The composer’s toolbar is higher.

10 Likes

Edit time on posts got a fair bit smaller:

vs

4 Likes

Topic list text size got bigger on mobile.

6 Likes

These are probably the most noticeable (intentional) changes, and I wanted to see if anyone noticed (you did!) and had any thoughts…

Both names and titles were .929em, which is a font-size I eliminated. So I moved names and titles to 1em and post meta to .8706em (seemed like a logical way to treat the hierarchy of information).

The reasoning for the elimination is that I’m using a formula to create our font scale: multiplier ^ (step / interval). So from 1em, 1 size up is 2^(1/5), and one size down is 2^(-1/5). This makes it sane to move up and down the font scale (while nesting ems) without creating a potential infinite number of font size variations.

A couple options if this change is undesirable:

1. We could move names/meta both up to 1em, which is ~.7em larger than they used to be (the .87em size is too small for names, IMO).

2. I could modify the scale I’m using to provide more options (something like 2^(X/8)). I was trying to keep the interval small, but adding more sizes is still much better than what we started with. We’d then have a .917em font-size for names/dates, and 21 available font-size variables instead of the 13 I’m using currently.

If you want to an overview of the available sizes in each scale, you can see them here

https://codepen.io/krisaubuchon/pen/XVjoZN

9 Likes

I like the mobile change but remember that post times are click / tap targets so should not be made smaller imo.

3 Likes

Did suggested topics get a little bit bigger? Something about it looks different.

This was a part of @awesomerobot’s changes around line height.

1 Like

I think the new “time of post” sizing works fine on desktop, but we also need a bump up on mobile where it is way too small now.

6 Likes

Tags have gotten quite large in the header when scrolled down in a topic that does not have a category:

5 Likes