Full Screen Login & Create Account

Just an update, there has been another round of updates today :smile:

1 Like

I think we are getting there:

Edge cases (part of this is the experiment part is just issues that need fixing)

• Inconsistency with labels (sign in vs login vs log in) - @pmusaraj keypass is the worst outlier
  • Double scrollbar cause content behind is still there
  • URL not changing when you go to this page
  • Question marks around extensibility - will this have any impact?

I wonder if we just pass the experiment here as “we will implement properly according to this design” ?

The Ember routing change here feels pretty required, we really intend for this to be a page not a modal.

2 Likes

The close button looks a little like a clear text button when I have scrolled

3 Likes

@sam Yep, I think as the experiment is concerned, it showed that “this is quite possible” design wise.

The edge cases and outliers now have to do with the way this is currently implemented rather than feasibility. I am ok to end the experiment and mark as you suggested.

1 Like

Good catch, fix in FIX: Inconsistent login label by pmusaraj · Pull Request #24949 · discourse/discourse · GitHub

2 Likes

It seems that everyone is using Chrome or Retina displays :smiley:

That’s how the full screen login on FF on Linux at 1080p:

I hope you keep working on that because it looks nice and just need a few improvements.

2 Likes

Nice update! Although I’m a bit sad not to see the blue background anymore, I appreciate the clean, centered, and consistent UI, which I believe is important for user experience (and maintenance). Good job! :+1:

The main issues I see have already been mentioned before.

To sump up
  • The forum scrollbar should be hidden
    you should not be able to scroll behind the modal; it’s confusing.

• Input on mobile should not be focused by default (imo)
    having the keyboard popping up in your face is not great.
    let’s appreciate the page (first impression matters too) and choose your path from there (credential, social or register)

• The form panel needs improvements when the height is narrowed (same as above post):
    I’m not fond of having to scroll inside the panel; it’s rather difficult to navigate
    As a user, I prefer to see the entire form, taking advantage of the window height and scrolling the page if necessary.

Thank you for all the effort you put into it! :smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @Arkshine :smile:

We have decided to call this experiment a viable success. We will remove it for now, but the possible outcome at the moment is for Discourse to have a standalone route for logging in to the forum.

When we have a distinct route, this will solve things like the back button not working, scrolling appearing when content is not visible, and give us a bit more control over the CSS as it will be standardized, rather than via this component.

2 Likes