🏡 Fully, a Full Width Discourse Theme

:information_source: Summary A simple & fun to use theme based on a full-width layout
:eyeglasses: Preview https://try.discourse.org/
:hammer_and_wrench: Repository GitHub - discourse/discourse-fully
:question: Install Guide How to install a theme or theme component
:open_book: New to Discourse Themes? Beginner’s guide to using Discourse Themes

This theme utilizes a full-width theme component made by @awesomerobot :pray: This theme includes the component for full-width as well as the dark/light theme toggle.

30 Likes

This theme can also be previewed here on this website.

3 Likes

so no hamburger icon or collapsing sidebar? when i have the sidebar collapsed before switching to this one, how do i get it without having to switch back to get the hamburger icon? unless i am missing something obvious in the UI?

2 Likes

This is an interesting point I totally looked over!

There is no toggle on this theme except at small widths.

2 Likes

At phone size screens there isn’t bigger change how it looks compared to other ”basic” ones so basically this changes things a bit at tablet level — because there is no functional hamburger icon. It may work and look differently at bigger laptops and desktops.

But I really like how the sidebar looks with that, fonts are nice.

So could I suggest you make a component that gives same look to other themes? That would be really nice :wink:

Or is it just matter of CSS?

2 Likes

Love this! :yellow_heart: Discourse looks great at full width :dancing_women: :star_struck:

Will there be a dedicated topic for the full-width theme component? I see some glitches, but they are related to the component, so I wonder if it makes sense to post here? There will likely be more full-width themes coming that use the component.

3 Likes

[in my opinion] this should be the default discourse theme! with consistent border-radius applied to all buttons

edit: or a simple way to pick a globally border radius

4 Likes

I like this theme but wonder if something like this i possible?

4 Likes

It seems like the full width setup is changing the header layout? I tried using the Header Search component, but it doesn’t show with the theme.
edit: ok, that’s weird. The component didn’t show on my instance where it was already installed and I added the theme. But when I install it after the theme, it shows.

Also, the sidebar scrolls up along with the composer. Well, it also does that on the default layout. But it looks a bit strange when the sidebar is not above the composer, but left of it:

3 Likes

I can confirm this at https://studmed.dk/

1 Like

Yes this is an artifact of what is actually currently happening in core discourse.

3 Likes

Any solution for this?

1 Like

Random question: Is there a non full-width version of this theme?

1 Like

There is not, this is meant to be used with full width.

2 Likes

Are you meaning that each of the sections with arrows would be moved to a widget to the right side of the topic list?

1 Like

@jordan-vidrine
What I mean is that the “dead” area - the white area that is visible at high resolution, disappears. So the block with the post list moves to the left. Additionally, when using a high-resolution screen, it was possible to place widgets in the area to the right without compressing the size of the block with posts.

If you understand?

2 Likes

This theme currently could possibly handle some widgets on the right hand side. With some tweaking you could also customize some of the CSS here to change widths if you want.

4 Likes

The full-screen chat layout stretches to, well, full-screen. But it’s quite a lot of screen then …

2 Likes

This was intended in order to “mimic” other chat first sites.

2 Likes

After using Fully for a couple of weeks (and loving it :chefs_kiss:), here are two things that popped up:

1. Chat indicator (online/green) isn’t visible when a row is selected

2. Is it possible to add the option to Show/Hide navigation menu?

Screenshot 2023-06-15 100702

I’ve often wanted to collapse the navigation menu to be able to focus on the main body of content in a topic, and also if I’m splitting screens vertically to find more screen space. This is more of a nice-to-have feature request so even a slightly hidden hover option could work.

1 Like