G Suite/google cloud

unsupported-install

(Travis Deeth) #1

I am attempting to configure Discourse which is running through google cloud to use SMTP through G Suite. I am editing the “discourse.conf” found in “/opt/bitnami/apps/discourse/htdocs/config” to contain the following information;

smtp_address = "smtp.gmail.com"
smtp_port = 587
smtp_domain = *****.org
smtp_user_name = '******@*****.org'
smtp_password = '********************'
smtp_enable_start_tls = true

When I use the above information the test email successfully goes through! But when I go to register, Discourse says it’s sending a confirmation email, but it never does.

I have also tried ports 465 and 2525 w/ the above information. I have also tried smtp_address = “smtp-relay.gmail.com

The sections that contain asterisks are obviously to protect my private information.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600?hl=en
contains some information regarding this issue.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/2956491?hl=en
also contains information regarding this issue.

Any help with this would be most appreciated.

(Matt Palmer) #2

We don’t know what weirdnesses Bitnami have done to their Discourse setup, so we can’t really provide much useful information. Have you tried the steps outlined in our official e-mail troubleshooting guide?

(Travis Deeth) #3

@mpalmer There does seem to be some discrepancies between what I have and what that guide states. The biggest being that there is no “app.yml” the information I was trying to follow was found at Bitnami Discourse for Google Cloud Platform
What I don’t understand is why the test email is successful, but the registration email is not.

(Matt Palmer) #4

Hence why Bitnami installs are unsupported, and strongly discouraged.

That’s what the e-mail troubleshooting guide is all about. While some of it won’t apply to a Bitnami install, most of it will.

(Travis Deeth) #5

Well, I just switched from the generic Bitnami Discourse to an Ubuntu 16.04 server and ran the installer. It’s already working. Why is Bitnami packaging an opensource software and using a method that isn’t supported? I could be wrong, but they are probably profiting from it. The least they could do is do it the correct way.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Bitnami predates Docker.

(Matt Palmer) #7

You’d have to ask Bitnami why they do what they do. It’s a mystery to me, too.