./app/controllers/plugin_routes_controller.rb:

class PluginRoutesController < ApplicationController
  def show
    Rails.logger.info '┌────────────┐'
    Rails.logger.info '│ Here we go │'
    Rails.logger.info '└────────────┘'
  end
end

Why is it that I get the following output when the method above is not actually being called? The Here we go part is absent from the logger output. How do I get the show method from above to be called?

I, [2018-07-12T16:45:17.108958 #30583]  INFO -- :
Processing by PluginRoutesController#show as CSS

I realize that I can process such a route by adding an appropriate route configuration to the frontend also and then send an AJAX request to the same URI. This will eventually call the mentioned show method. How do I accomplish this without going through the frontend?

Other topic with the same problem: Plugin Controller Method never called. Its conclusion is to have an Ember controller in the frontend as well, but this is exactly what I try to avoid.

2 Likes

Please, correct me if I’m wrong, but this has to do with this little line at the top of the controller:

skip_before_action :check_xhr

Adding it to a controller will achieve the desired outcome of having a server-side-only route.

Is it possible to only skip this particular before action for requests with a certain content type (e.g. HTML)?

Update: My current solution works like this:

1. The before action check_xhr will be skipped
  2. A new before action check_xhr_for_documents is added. It explicitly calls check_xhr when some condition is true (e.g. the request format is HTML)
class PluginRoutesController < ApplicationController
  before_action :check_xhr_for_documents
  skip_before_action :check_xhr

def show
    Rails.logger.info '┌────────────┐'
    Rails.logger.info '│ Here we go │'
    Rails.logger.info '└────────────┘'
  end

private

def check_xhr_for_documents
    if request.format == 'text/html'
      check_xhr