Group owners for managing group membership

(Sam Saffron) #1

As part of Discourse 1.5 we now allow you to specify arbitrary users as Group Owners.

Group owners can control membership on a particular group.

To specify a group owners use the /admin/group page:

Group owners can control membership on the public group page at /groups/GROUP_NAME

Group owners may not add or remove other group owners, that must be done from the admin interface.

Group owners and members can't see their own group unless "Group is visible to all users"
Ability for users to make join requests to private groups
(Nick) #2

Hi, I’m a bit confused about the difference between groups and categories,
is there any chance someone could help me understand these?

Basically I’m thinking about a forum for my organisation, which also has local groups, as well as some committees. As well as possibly the whole forum being only visible to logged in members, I’d like to be able to have something - sub-forums/categories/groups where a subset of the forum members can discuss things privately.

I would want to be able to give local members the ability to manage and moderate those sub-sections of the site, and add new members. Ideally I’d also want the existence of those private groups to be publicly visible with a request membership button - is that possible?

Also, although only having the central moderators able to create new private sub-sections would be fine, it might be nice for members to be able to set up their own groups - is that possible at all?

Cheers,
Nick

(Tom Newsom) #3

Groups are all about users.
Categories are all about Topics (aka Threads)

Easily doable. Create a Group and then create a Category that only gives permissions to that Group. It will be invisible to everyone else. Category-specific moderators are not currently supported, but will be soon.

That’s a bit more tricky. You can see all Groups at /groups but you can’t see private Categories; the permissions settings are not that fine-grained.

(Nick) #4

Thanks Tom - that’s really helpful.
Would users be able to request group membership at /groups? If so that
might be able to achieve the same thing.

(@SenpaiMass) #5

Thanks
Also,
Can a user of trust level 3 or above create a group by-himself and manage it?

(Tom Newsom) #6

Groups can only be created by admins.

Group membership requests would have to go somewhere else.

Also, apologies I was mistaken. AFAICT, there’s no public list of groups. There should be!

(Nick) #7

Ah ok. I guess so long as it’s not a massive number of groups a list
could be created manually.

(Mittineague) #8

Well, not easily public as far as having a “page”

But Groups can be got by going to “domain/site.json” eg.

https://meta.discourse.org/site.json

"groups":[
{"id":1,"name":"admins"},
{"id":58,"name":"coinbase"},
{"id":55,"name":"envato"},
{"id":0,"name":"everyone"},
{"id":59,"name":"gaspedal"},
{"id":49,"name":"mcneel"},
{"id":2,"name":"moderators"},
{"id":46,"name":"newrelic"},
{"id":48,"name":"plugin_authors"},
{"id":52,"name":"sitepoint"},
{"id":56,"name":"sketchup"},
{"id":3,"name":"staff"},
{"id":47,"name":"team"},
{"id":54,"name":"Test"},
{"id":60,"name":"tnation"},
{"id":50,"name":"translators"},
{"id":10,"name":"trust_level_0"},
{"id":11,"name":"trust_level_1"},
{"id":12,"name":"trust_level_2"},
{"id":13,"name":"trust_level_3"},
{"id":14,"name":"trust_level_4"},
{"id":57,"name":"tudiabetes"},
{"id":61,"name":"twitter"},
{"id":44,"name":"ubuntu"},
{"id":53,"name":"western_digital"}
],

(Nick) #9

That’s interesting…presumably it’d be fairly straightforward to write
something that would turn that into a ‘page’. Although I can’t code
(yet) so it’d be beyond me for now…

(Ralph Mason) #10

I’ve been trying this feature, but a member who’s been made a group owner doesn’t seem to be able to access the group he’s an owner of. Are there are special conditions the owner has to meet? (Or is 1.5.0.beta4 too early for this to work fully?)

Group owners and members can't see their own group unless "Group is visible to all users"
Non-admin group owners can't edit members of non-visible groups
(Sam Saffron) #11

interesting, can you pm me a link to the problem group, is the group not publicly visible?

(Ralph Mason) #12

Thanks Sam.

No, it’s private.

(Clay Heaton) #13

For what it’s worth, I’m having the same problem when the group is not publicly visible.

(Clay Heaton) #14

@sam By the way, the other thing that does not work when the group is private is using @group_name to tag everybody in the group, even if you’re admin.

(Tobias Eigen) #15

on my site this problem only occurs for private groups, e.g. when Group is visible to all users is deselected on the group admin page.

It seems to me an additional “Group is visible to group members” setting is required. There are cases when groups are completely admin-only so it’s good not to show members all groups they are in. But if a group is used for group messaging or other community purpose then admins should have the option to allow group members to see the group. In the event it is a private group, it should not be visible to all users or the public.

Non-admin group owners can't edit members of non-visible groups
(Philippe Rollin) #16

I am having the same problem on our hosted instance. Group owner of private groups can seem to access the admin page to add new group members.

I can confirm I am having the same issue - I would rather not have the group publicly displayed on the profile but will not let the owner access the group page without it.

I agree with the post from @tobiaseigen above -

It seems to me an additional “Group is visible to group members” setting is required. There are cases when groups are completely admin-only so it’s good not to show members all groups they are in. But if a group is used for group messaging or other community purpose then admins should have the option to allow group members to see the group. In the event it is a private group, it should not be visible to all users or the public.

(xiasummer) #18

NO!! It is not the case.

Now the page is hidden for group owners other than the administor of the Discourse.

We are using Discourse v1.6.0.beta4 +75.

I wonder how to make arbitrary users as Group Owners and let them edit the group themselves.

Please.