Guest Gate (Sign Up Popup Plugin)

Hello,

Did you checked the x button disabled and redirect to home option?

Yes, of course. But I think it’s a little bit paradox to show a banner that the user should login or sign-up, but on the other hand they can still click it away and read on.
Or should this option used to be as a little hint to not force and annoy them to register an account?

You are a hero. This is what I wanted to do as well - and why it took me so long. You beat me to it. Thank you!

I propose that we deprecate the plugin now. This is so much better.

The theme component does have one issue: a flash of unhidden content, if you press Refresh on an admin screen, you will see the close button appear and disappear. This issue was already present in the plugin a long time ago.

3 Likes

I try to find this issue but on my admin I can’t repro this. Can you check this issue is still appear with the theme component?

Thank you!

Ah ok I found it. :slightly_smiling_face: I use the Discourse Loading Slider component that is why I didn’t see it. When I disable the Slider TC the X appear on refresh.

Edit: I fixed it. Thank you Michael!

1 Like

Do you plan on making a dedicated topic for it?

1 Like

Instead of using an url for an image let the admins directly upload an image.
So instead of this:
custom gate image url:
use this in the settings:

guest_gate_image:
  type: upload
  default: ""
  description: guest gate image

And in yuour scss file something like this:
background-image: url(#{$guest-gate-image});

With this the image will be uploaded directly to the forum and they don’t need an image hoster (and the image maybe will be gone some time later).

Or another possibility is to use fontawesome.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I changed it to upload type.

4 Likes

Hello,

I made some changes in the theme component.

Previously Guest Gate overwrite modal.hbs now I cleaned this up and use dismissable=false in guest-gate.hbs. I removed the modal.hbs and components/d-gate.js files because now we handle the guest gate modal separate, from the other modals. I also removed from guest-gate.hbs and move the css’s to the common.scss because it will not affect other modals anymore.

I changed the x_button_disabled settings name to dismissable_false .

5 Likes

Great work. You should definitely move the TC to a dedicated Topic in #theme?

Perhaps the Plugin can be deprecated?

7 Likes

Thanks Robert! I will move this to #theme soon.

4 Likes

And it’s done! Check out Guest Gate Theme Component

8 Likes