Guest Gate (Sign Up Popup Plugin)

That’s very unlikely. Most self hosted sites are still running without ember cli. Set it to zero and rebuild and you’ll be fine.

1 Like

Where in the app.yml should i paste it?

seems the plugin broken; after rebuild it’s show site broken… anybody have this issue ?

If you scroll a few posts up then you can read about the cause and the solution.

3 Likes

Disabling the Ember CLI fixes the ember issue with this pluggin. For those that are not well versed in configurations here’s the solution:

1. Open app.yml file in text editor
  2. Add EMBER_CLI_PROD_ASSETS: 0 in the yml. I chose to put it before the LANG string.
6 Likes

Can I fine-tune this plugin to be able to hide part of the post to not only guest users, but also users who aren’t moderators/admins/have lower trust level/etc.?

[PLUGIN discourse-guest-gate] Deprecation notice: Import the User class instead of using User (deprecated since Discourse 2.4.0) (removal in Discourse 2.6.0)

1 Like

I’m a bit concerned about disabling Ember CLI given the below statement (22 days ago):

Still, I’m missing the plugin, so I’m considering doing it if it’ll still take a while before the plugin gets updated. Any news in this regard @michaeld?

1 Like

I’m planning to have a working version again in the next 2-3 weeks.

6 Likes

An update? Are people using this plugin successfully with the latest version / beta versions of Discourse?

3 Likes

Yes, it works properly but last time that i checked you had to disable ember cli.

4 Likes

Great - I’ve installed it and its working well.
I’m on 2.9.0.beta2

Thanks!

3 Likes

It works as expected - immediate, significant bump in signups! I added the plugin on the 18th… and things ramped quickly:

4 Likes

@sam @codinghorror Just wanted to report a little more on the use of this pop-up. Its super effective at increasing signups.

I really hope that Discourse would integrate this fully into the main platform and improve it with a better UI design, etc. to make it even more compelling to users, and test different versions in A/B testing to optimize the effectiveness.

You can see the difference very clearly as soon as I installed the plugin on March 18th. - Amazing difference in subscription/joins!

And here is the view at the “Quarter” (3 month summary) View. Again - see the difference after implementing popup on March 18:

5 Likes

Hi @BCHK Great to see this impact. Just a question, I have implemented this just now. And can find the plugin in the plugin list / see it is enabled.

But I can’t find the settings option:

Where is it exactly? I searched in Settings. cannot find at all.

Wow it looks amazing and helpful really as you said…
Helping other users too

Settings for the plugin are under “Plugins” - see this image below, for “Guest Gate”:

Did you get things updated for ember cli?

Hello,

I forked this plugin and made a theme component from this. So you can try or modify it easier. I also added some feature with settings and change, fix some. I hope it’s ok. :slightly_smiling_face:

Added settings:

use_gate_buttons: simply change the footer links to buttons.

redirect_to_home: This can prevent the visitor close the login/signup modal and read the topic. When visitor click the footer buttons/links it will redirect to the home and open automatically the Login/Signup modal.
Screenshot 2022-04-20 at 13.49.55

Dark mode support etc…

Screenshot 2022-04-20 at 13.56.48

I added the custom gate texts to Theme Translations instead of Settings.
Screenshot 2022-04-20 at 16.07.56

Here is the repo :arrow_down_small:

Here you can see it on my site :arrow_down_small:
I use custom gate with buttons and redirect. To check this go to a topic.

Demo on my site

Tip: If you use the custom gate and want to hide the modal header just like on my site. You have to delete the guest_gate.title field and hit a space. It will remove the modal title, so you can use a title below the image.

:warning: Please test it before using it to live.

6 Likes

Thanks for this!

But I can click the “X” and still read on in the topic.