Has anyone tried this RSS poster?

Hey Leo,

would you mind putting information on how to format the incoming posts in the readme.md

So they don’t show up as “Something something” and then almost no body content?

Can’t seem to figure it out

1 Like

This was why I stopped using it. Made the posts look terrible and broken up.

Did you learn how to format the posts through the RegEx? I have no idea - I asked developer but got not answer

Nope. Never got a reply on it either.

Have you found a work around though Zapier or IFTTT or API/Webhooks?

I used IFTTT > Google Alerts as RSS > Slack and they appear clean and perfectly but only because IFTTT lets you format. Trying to replicate this…

1 Like

There’s a guide on Zapier here:

3 Likes

Now it works great! Thanks OP!!
I had some trouble getting it working. So I made some changes to the plugins code that is shared from my GitHub
https://github.com/gregruthenbeck/discourse-rss-poster
It’s only been tested against the latest beta version 2.3.0.beta9 +552

It now produces nicely formatted posts automatically (I’m using it to create posts from RSS feeds from StackOverflow, Reddit, and GoogleAlerts).

2 Likes

I think I’ve fixed this. Trouble was that the RSS Feed’s HTML was encoded and so Discourse displayed the escaped code, not the formatted post. Screenshot attached

4 Likes

You may or may not find this plugin by @xrav3nz interesting:

https://github.com/xrav3nz/discourse-wellfed

We have been using it during more than a year and works very well.

5 Likes

Hi Greg, I had the rss poster working in a discourse instance created last year. Recently I have migrated it to another instance, in a different URL. Apparently the plugin was still working, as it fetched rss entries as soon as I installed it. But I could not access its settings, and in fact the plugins page in the admin panel returned empty. Any hint of what it might be?

Is not compatible with 3.1.0.beta3 (At the time of this post)

I am using this instead, and it seems to be working fine :slight_smile: